Trumpeter Spitfire 1/24th

Chris E

Hi all,

Got a new build on the go, Trumpeter's big Spitfire.

Decided, after looking at the kit cockpit, that it needed a bit of work...I then decided to completely scratch build a new one :help:

Also got a start on the engine. It's a bit of a hybrid, with parts stolen from an Airfix Merlin I had lying around. It's still not exactly the right shape, but once its covered in pipes and wires hopefully no one will notice!

Here's a few pics showing where I am at the moment, hope you like them..

P1000445.jpg

Cockpit sidewalls in primer after removing all the kit details and starting again from scratch.

P1000447.jpg

Bulkheads from stock card.

P1000449.jpg

The 'hybrid' Merlin.

P1000450.jpg

P1000451.jpg

P1000452.jpg

Thanks! The ignition cables are made from the braiding of miniature coaxial cable. A bit like TV aerial cable but much thinner. I cut the braid off the cable and threaded it onto a length of thin solder making it easy to bend to shape.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Bit of an update. Got quite a bit of scratch building done on the cockpit, i'm now in the process of building the rudder pedal assembly. I also decided to remove the fuel tank panel in front of the cockpit to show the tank, which also means I have to show the rear of the instrument panel as well!!! :blink: Anyway, hope you like the pics..

P1000491.jpg

P1000486.jpg

P1000478.jpg

P1000482-1.jpg

P1000481-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Very nice I see you had to change the engine as well, not sure why Trumpeter does not get it right?? I have one of these to do (much)later and I will be using your build as a ref.

Richard