P-39 D1 Airacobra (G. Welch)

Tomek

Hi gang!

I�m slowly starting my next build, so I thought why not show it here, especially because some of you showed some interest in paper models.

Considering the next model I wanted to further challenge myself and try a bit more difficult kit. I�m not sure I�m ready, but hey, I�ll never know unless I�ll try. Please have in mind that I�m out of my comfort zone and it may not turn as successful as I would like to.

One more thing I would like to mention. Please excuse if in my narrative I�ll mention obvious for you guys things. I�ve been thinking how to balance all the details of the build simply because probably many of you may not have too much experience dealing with paper models. Let me know when I get boring.

Any comments and questions are welcome!

For the subject I picked P-39 D1 Airacobra (1:33) published by KW Cartoon Model (don�t ask me why the name is so silly). The model shows an a/c with number K 41-38359, which belonged to 8th FPG USAAC, and was flown by LT. George Welch. The painting scheme supposed to depict airplane as in 1942 in New Guinea. As you see I'm continuing the theme of controvertial aircrafts, which were loved by some and hated by others http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.gif .

I like this kit particularly because it beautifully shows what can be done with paper when it�s about fooling the eye of a viewer. Modeling is an art of illusion and this kit shows it well by trying to realistically depict 3D features in 2D way (see the second collage).

The kit has about 520 parts (the Buffalo I showed in the RFI section had slightly over 300), but not that makes is difficult rather some tricky construction aspects of the build.

Additionally to the kit itself I got some, I guess I can call it �aftermarket�. I got laser cut formers, a canopy and a better quality instrument panel, as the one from the kit is rather poor. This is going to be my first experience with lasercuts, so far I have relied on laminating formers to proper thickness cardboard (usually 1mm) and cutting out them myself. You can imagine it�s not the most pleasant thing to do, but accuracy at this stage is pretty crucial for the final outcome. Since I don�t trust myself enough yet to do it right I bought laser cut frames.

I started with applying to all sheets with parts a coat of flat Model Master lacquer. This supposed to provide some protection to the print (against moisture or mechanical damage) and most of all prepare the cardstock for the finishing coats of acrylic sprays. I had in the past situations when after the final matte acrylic spray I got white blemishes ruining the model. MM lacquer seals the cardstock and prevents such nasty surprises at the final stages of a build.

IMG_0141-1.jpg

IMG_0137-1.jpg

IMG_0131-1.jpg

So far I managed to assemble the wing spars and two formers for the midsection. Nothing complicated here - the lasercuts can be assembled so easy as Lego bricks. As you can see the wings are constructed as a one section and that is a good thing. With wings attached separately to the fuselage I always had some problems with keeping proper dihedral. In this case a mistake like that is almost impossible.

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

I�m still mixing paint for retouching all the white edges. I always struggle to come up with a good match, and this kit doesn�t make it any easier. There is color variation on parts which supposed to imitate natural changes due to weather. Hopefully soon I�ll show skinning of the wings.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Tomek

Hey Tomek,

that is going to be on thread I will be following for sure.

Just thinking about the shapes of the P39 and I am already wondering how this will possibly work.

Thanks a lot for sharing. :popcorn:

Cheers,

Loic

Thanks guys for looking in. I hope I won't disappoint. Pressure is on ... That's good :D .

Looks like we are going to need much more pop corn around here...

Dang! I knew I forgot about something :doh: . I'm sorry I am a sloppy host...

Are the instructions in English, or translated into English?

Mark, to my knowledge no, there are no instructions in English. I'll drop an email to the designer/publisher with this question. This kit has quite a lot of nice assembly drawings (see the first post) and follows some standard when it's about description of parts (standard symbols for parts that need to be folded, scored, rolled, laminated, etc.). For a modeler with some experience, the drawings and just following the order of parts (all numbered) as they appear in the instruction may be sufficient. Checking out any available build threads of the kit on other modeling sites is also very helpful. Bigger Polish publishers (Halinski, Modelik, Orlik, Model Hobby) usually include instructions in English.

BTW, I just went to the publisher website to see if English instruction can be found there and I discovered some extra parts available as a download. Thanks Mark, I would miss that otherwise!

Edited by Tomek

Hi Tomek,

I've a Fj-1 Fury in the same scale. In the past I did some Paper planes (45 Years ago) and wasn't too happy with the result. Well Paper planes have made some really good advances since so I'm very interested in your technics and progresses. Maybe one day I feel confident enough to give paper a new try. Good luck.

Edited by fam43

I am looking forward to seeing this build. P-39's are interesting planes. I just did the P-400 "white 19" from that ipms page. That cockpit looks very comprehensive, much better than the plastic version! Please post lots of pics.

Great looking model Tomek and I know you pull out another great model.

''Every piece you take,

every cut you make,

every fold you take,

every score you fake

I’ll be watching you…''

Looking forward this build. :ninja:

Ooh boy, Tomek, you've stepped it in now! This a great start, and I think the folks here will find your work informative and entertaining.

Do you coat the edges of your card formers with something? It looks to be the case in the photo. If you do, what's the advantage of that?

Thanks guys for the interest :D .

I just did the P-400 "white 19" from that ipms page.

Now I know whose brain I'm going to pick about Airacobra details :help:.

You can start worrying, Matt ;) .

''Every piece you take,

every cut you make,

every fold you take,

every score you fake

I’ll be watching you…''

:rofl: .

Nice to see you here Tappi. I'm counting on your sharp eye. Don't spare any harsh words!

Do you coat the edges of your card formers with something? It looks to be the case in the photo. If you do, what's the advantage of that?

Thank you for looking in, Mike. I'm using laser cut formers so what you see is apparently scorched by the heat cardboard (brownish edges). On the bottom of the formers sheet there is even some evidence of small fires and smoke. You know, high tech in paper modeling :lol:

I hope to see YOUR new project soon!

I'm using laser cut formers so what you see is apparently scorched by the heat cardboard (brownish edges). On the bottom of the formers sheet there is even some evidence of small fires and smoke. You know, high tech in paper modeling

Thanks Tomek. What threw me off was the appearance that the edges had a glossy sheen (obviously now an illusion), seeing to indicate you had coated them with something. It reminded me of my balsa "stick and tissue" model building, wherein a step before covering the balsa frames with tissue is to apply a couple of coats of dope on the bare frames. This seals the edges and keeps them from absorbing the dope two fast as you try to stick the tissue on. I thought something similar was going on here. No mind, you're already doing great things out of the chute.

I hope to see YOUR new project soon!

Getting a slow start, but working on it.... :wicked: