Brewster Buffalo Mk.1 (1:33, Kartonowa Kolekcja)

Tomek

Greetings everyone!

This is my first model presented here, so please be understanding http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif.

This paper kit was published by Kartonowa Kolekcja, one of the relatively small, but popular Polish publisher of paper models. The model, desined by Pawel Mistewicz, shows the machine which belonged to RAF 67 Squadron and was operated by P.M. Bingham-Wallis (December 1941, Burma).

The kit itself is rather simple without too many details and is intended for beginners to modelers having already some experience. As rather basic kit you can see quite few simplification, which are quite natural for paper models. This is especially visible on the cowling of the model. Knowing these limitations of the kit I tried to push the envelope a little by trying to form some parts to more resemble the original subject (spinner, cowl). Paper (or more precisely cardstock) is quite suitable for this kind of operations, with some limitations of course. So this is it. I hope those of you who expressed some interest in the other thread won't be disappointed. http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/blush.gif

I'm still not sure what is the preferable format for showing pictures here, so please excuse if this causing any inconvenience on your side. All the thumbnails are clickable if you would like to see photo in a bigger format. I apologize for the background, I didn't realize how awkward it will come out (lesson for later...)

So here it goes:

IMG_0159.jpg

th_IMG_0018-1.jpg th_IMG_0295-1.jpgth_IMG_0172-1-1.jpg

th_IMG_0142-1.jpg th_IMG_0154-1.jpg th_IMG_0140-1.jpg th_IMG_0136.jpg http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/cotletuss/Brewster%20Mk1_new/th_IMG_0133.jpg http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/cotletuss/Brewster%20Mk1_new/th_IMG_0196.jpg

Edited by Tomek

Excellent work Tomek! Most impressive. It's hard to believe it's made out of paper and card stock..........

Was thinking the exact same thing! These new paper models are almost hard to discern from plastic sometimes.

Great job Tomek you should be rightly proud. :clap2:

Cheers,

Brian

Wow !

is this impressive or what ?!

Absolutly top shelf modeling my friend.

I am so glad you paper modelers guys have joined.

Can not wait to see a WIP thread now, just like the Clarktor one.

Cheers,

Loic

Hey Tomek, look at you! I'm glad you worked up the nerve to present your Buffalo here, it's a beautiful model and deserves all the attention it can get.

As I said to Tomek in an email: My cowlings and spinners should come out half as good!

Well done!

Edited by Bomarc

Great work Tomek ! Pushed the envelope you have my friend !.

You and Bomarc have most efficiently demonstrated what could be achieved with card and paper. Ther are a few areas where plastic is more convenient (sanding those joints .... for instance) but paper modelling makes up for precison and ease of redoing parts (just need a scanner and a printer afeter all).

Now, coming back to an old suggestion of mine, a question to the mods : how about adding paper models to the LSP database ?

Hubert.

Now, coming back to an old suggestion of mine, a question to the mods : how about adding paper models to the LSP database ?

Yes, yes splendid Ideeer!

As others have pointed out, plastic can be better for some things and is what we are all used to, but some of the techniques you guys use can easily be adapted to those of us building plasitc.....and the CA soaked card stock and SOOOOO many ideas from Bomarcs Clarctor build can be used in conjunciton with plastic builds, it all "cross-pollinates" to add to ones over all modeling skill sets.

Great to have you guys.

Cheers,

Brian

So good to see that paper modeling is appreciated so warmly around here. One visit to a museum was a real eye-opener to me - looking at the wonderfull shipmodels at National Maritime Museum at Greenwitch London it stroke me that along all mixed media building (which is pretty common amongst all modeling activities) paper had a very specific and unique role with some of the models I saw. With paper one can produce wonderfull lifelike scale effects. Paper and cardboar you can find everywhere. It's easy to work with and very moldable too. Affordable and accesible, what more can one wish. So when you run out of styrene sheets consider alternatives found from kitchen or your trashbin for example. ;-)

Thanks guys for your kind words :blush: .

I've been browsing through the site and it made me I feel very little ... What talents! ... Browsing made me also motivated and that's a good thing.

I must say I'm still learning and I know plenty of paper modelers who are waaaay better than me. In their cases it's really impossible to tell the difference between plastic and paper. That doesn't change the fact that I like my Buffalo and I'm proud of myself :P . I wanted to build a better model and I think I did, and that progress is the most important for me.

Loic, JCote, It warms my heart to see there are people who are interested in seeing how paper model is made. I would like to do that at some point. It would be something else than Bomarc, or Gil are showing because I'm not at their level and I still build out of the box ... err... the book ;) . Give me some time to learn the dynamics of LSP first.

Bomarc, a compliment from you is always very valued :blush: ... even if it's repeated one ;) .

There are a few areas where plastic is more convenient (sanding those joints .... for instance) but paper modelling makes up for precision and ease of redoing parts (just need a scanner and a printer afeter all).

About sanding joints ... well Hubert, for your information we have already stolen and modified this idea from you guys :P ;) .

I've seen paper modelers who apply CA to joins, gently sand them and then dry brush with perfectly matching color. Results are simply amazing! ... The technique still out of my league unfortunately.

Tappi, I guess I'll dedicate my Finnish Buffalo to you when I get courage to cut this Halinski kit (way too complicated for my level, but maybe in few years ^_^ )

I particularly admire the fact that you have to cut and assemble cleanly and tidily enough to preserve the final finish which is printed there from the very begining!

Matt, that's true that we go to great lengths to protect the print during the construction. I guess it starts from learning how to handle parts and goes to finding ways how to seal card stock even before you put a blade to it. In this case before I started, I brushed in into the sheets flat Model Master lacquer. It gives some protection to the print and makes it easier to remove any unwanted paint (I'm using water based tempera paint for retouching) plus few other things. There are other, better ways to do such things such applying a coat of nitrate dope.

I did the 1/24 Bf-109 G4 (red 7) in paper [...]

I would love to see it :)

Not fair. That is plastic! :speak_cool:

You know big matt that this is one of the best compliments paper modeler can hear? I wonder why we need to always chase you guys :hmmm:

Again, big thanks to all of you for really encouraging words!

Edited by Tomek