Anyone Built Trumpy's F8F Bearcat?

Cunumdrum61

Yes sir................

DSC00279.JPG

DSC00309.JPG

DSC00318.JPG

DSC00324.JPG

Builds into a FINE kit. One of Trumpys "A" team efforts as far as IM concerned.

I used all of the above Aries kits you have mentioned as well as the SAC gear (MUCH needed as OOB gear is too short and bottom of the gear legs touch the top of the wheels).

The resin molding on the Aries gear bays, and cockpit is second to none. The FIT on the Aries gear bays and cockpit is second to ALL!

Bottom line is, if you have the time and patience to do some hacking (mainly on the top of the wheel wells) to get the stuff to fit, GO FOR IT! The look great when installed.

The gear bays just take some hacking and chopping to stuff into the wings as well as hollowing out the intakes in the leading edge.

The Aries front office is a work of art but has very slight fit issues - nothing like the bays, and much less hacking and cutting if any, is required to get it to fit.

If you need anything else or pics, PM me and I can send you what I have as far as pics or documentation. Im a HUGE Grumman "cat" fat with the F7F and F8F being two of my all time favorite aircraft.

HTH

Cheers,

Brian

Hope I am not thread stealing....

But I wonder if we could convince Mr. Fisher to do a kit to modify the Trumpy F8F kit into "Rare Bear" or one of the other Bearcat racers....

I am currently in an unlimited air racer phase..... :shrug:

Yes sir................

Builds into a FINE kit. One of Trumpys "A" team efforts as far as IM concerned.

I used all of the above Aries kits you have mentioned as well as the SAC gear (MUCH needed as OOB gear is too short and bottom of the gear legs touch the top of the wheels).

The resin molding on the Aries gear bays, and cockpit is second to none. The FIT on the Aries gear bays and cockpit is second to ALL!

Bottom line is, if you have the time and patience to do some hacking (mainly on the top of the wheel wells) to get the stuff to fit, GO FOR IT! The look great when installed.

The gear bays just take some hacking and chopping to stuff into the wings as well as hollowing out the intakes in the leading edge.

The Aries front office is a work of art but has very slight fit issues - nothing like the bays, and much less hacking and cutting if any, is required to get it to fit.

If you need anything else or pics, PM me and I can send you what I have as far as pics or documentation. Im a HUGE Grumman "cat" fat with the F7F and F8F being two of my all time favorite aircraft.

HTH

Cheers,

Brian

Brian, thanks for the response. How did you find the fit of the gunbay covers? I want to close mine up as well and have the wings extended. I really like the markings on your kit. Is it covered in Aluminum foil or Alclad etc? It looks like fiol to me only because the effect is so convincing. I too would give a kidney for a 32 scale F7F. One of Grummans best aircraft.

Cheers,

Just wondering if anyone has built one and what they thought of it. I plan on using the Aires cockpit

It'd be interesting if you could check the instrument panel layout in your kit and compare it with the Aires panel. Either one of my reference books has a mirror image of a F8F instrument panel photo displayed or the Trumpeter kits instruments are laid out wrong on the acetate sheet. This is noticeable if you use the PE framework over the top. The bezels and dials are squewed.

My kits fit wasn't perfect at the wingroot area but I might have been rushing somewhat. Might be worth a double check in that area.

On my loooong...to do list.

Cheers Matty

Hope I am not thread stealing....

But I wonder if we could convince Mr. Fisher to do a kit to modify the Trumpy F8F kit into "Rare Bear" or one of the other Bearcat racers....

I am currently in an unlimited air racer phase..... :speak_cool:

If you love air racers...................

You need to "Czech" out Andreas from XS Models out of Germany -

XS Models 2010 catalog

(3rd Catalog pic..........right side..................bottom.........take a look........)

Anyone know which version of the Bearcat kit is the most accurate? I remember hearing that the exhausts are wrong for one of the versions but not sure which one.

Thanks,

Carl

The long tail F8F-2 is probably more accurate concerning the exhaust. Its not perfect (Trumpy provided 4 pipes maybe IIRC) and the -2 had 3 roundish, ovalized pipes not 4.

That can be modified fairly easily. The short tail -1 however, Trumpy has completely gotten lazy and just taken the F8F-2 fuse and shortened/re-done the vertical fin. The F8F-1 had a completely different, taller flattened exhaust opening with 5 stacks (Fair Use contract applies) -

F8F-1

146-g-12812.jpg

This one has the shroud in place obscuring the other stacks, but you get the Idea

147-b-1280.jpg

VS. the F8F-2

BCAT3.jpg

146-a-1280.jpg

Alas, I was too lazy myself to correct the exhaust to an F8F-1 like it should have been and instead, concentrated on foiling. :(

HTH

Cheers,

Brian

Brian, thanks for the response. How did you find the fit of the gunbay covers? I want to close mine up as well and have the wings extended. I really like the markings on your kit. Is it covered in Aluminum foil or Alclad etc? It looks like foil to me only because the effect is so convincing. I too would give a kidney for a 32 scale F7F. One of Grummans best aircraft.

Cheers,

Yeah, the gun covers were a tad of a PITA but a bit of CA for filler and a minor re-scribe.

Yes, all foil/chemical etched foil. The kit is pretty decent. I liked it. Definitely worth the price most of the time. Just have to put some elbow grease into the resin to get it to fit.

If you love air racers...................

You need to "Czech" out Andreas from XS Models out of Germany -

XS Models 2010 catalog

(3rd Catalog pic..........right side..................bottom.........take a look........)

That is awesome! Thanks for the link!

I doubt they are of the same quality as the Fisher stuff, but as long as they are decent that is really good news! I am trying to order the F2G Corsair conversion already.

I doubt they are of the same quality as the Fisher stuff, but as long as they are decent that is really good news!

Fisher stuff IS hard to beat in that catagory but XS makes good stuff, and with a bit of TLC can be turned into show stoppers.

I am trying to order the F2G Corsair conversion already.

Its nice. Im sure the purist F2G guys out there could tear it up, but IMHO its pretty nice. Might need some clean up in some areas, and it WILL take some work but what major conversion doesnt?? It may not be all the Obscureco conversion was (not to mention the Obscureco conversion is all but impossible to aquire), but its still very nice, and you get all you need -

01.jpg

Brian

and me

but only from the box :

101007114920687041.jpg

WOW, RB thats freekin nice!!! :)

Is that Indo-china service? Are those the Spada decals?

You should go ahead and share more photos of that beaten weathered bird..... :D

Cheers,

Brian

WOW, RB thats freekin nice!!! :thumbsup:

Is that Indo-china service? Are those the Spada decals?

You should go ahead and share more photos of that beaten weathered bird..... :D

Cheers,

Brian

hello ; thank you for your nice comment

you can see here:http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=19920&st=0&p=155324entry155324

cheers

jean françois

:rolleyes: