Albatros D.V

LSP_Ron

Well I had planed on doing a Tamiya Lanc next but all that has done is stalled me in the hobby room for the last month. Several days ago I pulled out this kit just because I had so much fun with the SE.5. So far this kit is just as nice. they are really fun to build....

One draw back with building these WW1 kits is the drying time on the wood grain effect. I use the oil paint method over an enamel base. This grain work is well over 72 hours old and still just as wet as the day I did it. That's frustrating me because I am now held up with not much to do until it does dry :speak_cool:

P7200009.jpg

P7200010.jpg

P7200011.jpg

P7220013.jpg

P7220012.jpg

Man Ron, that engine looks totally righteous...........

I keep seeing these builds and eying these WnWs kits.

I gotta say I'm really impressed with their quality and ease at which everyone says they go together. Im desperately trying to hold out for thier D. VII :unsure:

Brian

Isn't there something like Japan Dryer that you can add to the oils to speed up thier drying time? I remember and artist friend who would add somthing to his oils so they would dry quicker. Just thought I'd offer a suggestion for later use. The wood effect looks great!

Thanks guys

Isn't there something like Japan Dryer that you can add to the oils to speed up thier drying time? I remember and artist friend who would add somthing to his oils so they would dry quicker. Just thought I'd offer a suggestion for later use. The wood effect looks great!

I'll look into that the next time I am at the artist supply store. The paint is almost dry, it's been 5 days!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Hi Ron great to see you build the Albatros I did have this problem it's great to paint details becose the long drying time special for cockpit details.

I did aske for it in the hobby store and they came up with this I spray it over the painted details nex day it's dry.

johan

post-5365-1280052383.jpg

Hi Ron great to see you build the Albatros I did have this problem it's great to paint details becose the long drying time special for cockpit details.

I did aske for it in the hobby store and they came up with this I spray it over the painted details nex day it's dry.

johan

PERFECT!!!

Thanks Johan,

I hope to put in a little building time in on it tonight.

Beautiful Ron. As a side note, I have recently taken up figures in oils after a great many years away. I bought a crock pot to speed drying time. I lined the bottom with cardboard and have the lid half off and heat low, Have even done it with resin. If you have a spare piece of kit you will not use give it a try. I found that 3 or 4 hours was enough to dry everything. Also a trick I learned. Put the oil paint on some card stock, like que cards and wait a few minutes. Then transfer it to your pallet (I found a piece of wax paper works best and I can throw it away after). Most of the oil will leach out and dry time is even less.

James

Also a trick I learned. Put the oil paint on some card stock, like que cards and wait a few minutes. Then transfer it to your pallet (I found a piece of wax paper works best and I can throw it away after). Most of the oil will leach out and dry time is even less.

That's a great tip James! :popcorn: I guess that explains why I sometimes see people using paper towel and such as crude paint pallettes.

Kev

Well I've made a lot of head way. This kit is simply beautiful. It's very complete including PE seat belts and gun jackets etc. The interior bits are rather fiddly and easy to break but everything fits well if you take your time. You need to use the fuse as a jig for the bulk heads or the won't line up properly. I am having a lot of fun with this build.

P7260001.jpg

P7260002.jpg

P7260007.jpg

P7260009.jpg

P7260010.jpg

P7260011.jpg

P7260008.jpg

P7260012.jpg

P7260003.jpg

P7260004.jpg

:wow: Your build makes it harder and harder to resist WWI build! Great work!........Harv :wow:

Thanks Harv, try one of these WNW kits. You will love it. I've resisted WW1 subjects for the last 35 years but with these kits they make it easy to maintain your sanity. I have really enjoyed them. Put a new spark in the hobby for me. I can't wait to get to the hobby room to keep working on it.

Looking beautiful Ron.Really coming together. :evil_laugh:

James

Thanks James. I appreciate it. How's the Tamiya Spit coming? you haven't posted WIP pics in sometime

Looking really good. Can't wait to see her done.

As a long time WWI builder (although you'd never know it lately) I've used oils for woodgrain for a long time, but I do it over an acrylc base. A little Japan drier will make the oils dry over night, or less. It also helps thin out the oils so the woodgrain has less 3 dimensional texture, but with the same visual effect.

C