1/32 Hasegawa F-104G Starfighter

PhilB

There are quite a few interesting special color schemes for the F-104 that appeared in the various countries that used this plane.

The Italians especially had many that they used for special occasions. Each Italian squadron had their own insignia, folklore and history. This is an old tradition with Italian military units and goes far back in history. Same with the old British and other European military units. However, the Italian squadrons often decorate one particular airplane when they retire the type from service or when they have a significant squadron anniversary, like the 50th or 75th. PCM (Pacific Coast Models) lists two rather expensive books available on these special markings.

Another source of interesting color schemes are the Tiger meet markings of the past three decades.

Revell/USA and Revell/Germany have issued 1/32 kits with some of these interesting color and marking schemes. For example, there are the:

4725 F-104G Hawk marking scheme

4731 F-104 Canadian Aerobatic Team (Red)

4750 F-104 Italian Hunting Cat

04792 F-104G “Olympus” Which is also available as a decal set by Eagle Strike and could have been used on the model shown above.

Outside of the F-104 we have the Revell:

04756 Mirage 5 BR Mephisto

04706 F4F Phantom II Wild Horse German

04718 Tornado ECR Tigermeet German

Also, one can get these marking as independent decal sets:

Tiger Wings #32-120B Mig 21 MF Fishbed SWORDFISH (Poland)

Scale Model Supplies Sabre decal 4-32 Canadian Sabres “The Golden Hawks”

Leading Edge Models #32.01 RCAF GOLDEN HAWKS SABRE

Eagle Strike 32030 Mt. Olympus Starfighter Greek

Then there are the USAF Thunderbirds and U.S.Navy Blue Angels aerobatic and demonstration teams which have appeared in kits and as separate decals. Hasegawa used to have a Skyhawk kit with the Blue Angles markings.

There are a surprising number of helicopter kits with tiger markings. I guess Revell is trying to find ways of getting people to buy the helo kits.

There are quite a few different and very interesting marking schemes for our plastic models, one just has to look around for them.

Stephen

• 7 months later...
Hi Phil,

I must have missed this the first time round so apologies for that. Smashing scheme you chose.

How would you rate the Hasegawa Starfighter on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks Guy, the scheme was a real pain. There was no way I could manage the large decals so I had to cut them

but being on a black background helped.

As regards the kit, it was very similar to my F5. For the relatively cheap price its a very good fit with nice touches

like resin wheels and gear doors. A nice metal insert to strengthen the main gear legs.

Its pretty basic in detail with raised panel lines but for the money its good value.

It would be a good basis for some of your detailing work especially around the gear wells which are pretty bare and the cockpit.

All in all I liked it very much. with no fit issues at all. Just needs some extra TLC as far as you wish to go.

Overall for what you get for your money......8/10.

HTH.

Phil

Great choice for the markings and color scheme.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Glad you liked it.

Bit of a surprise to see it back here from the past!

Phil

• 8 years later...