1552 replies to this topic

#1 pappy1

pappy1

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hi everyone, Harvey, and I both had the excellent Jerry Rutman P-38M conversion set and were talking about which kit would best suit it. So we decided to build both kits the Tried and true Revell, and the superbly detailed Trumpeter.
Harvey has the Trumpeter kit, as well as some aftermarket goodies, and I have the Revell kit, and som aftermarket goodies also.My P-38 is the Droop Snoot version that had lost the clear nose section,but no big deal I happened to have another fighter nose set sitting around.My build will pretty much be out of the box with some Edwards P.E. stuff and some resin wheels, and ofcourse Jerry;s P-38M conversion set. So here is some Pics...NealNeal__s_planes_188.jpg

Attached Images

• Neal__s_planes_189.jpg

• MARU5137 and Girlscanplay2 like this

#2 maverick728470

maverick728470

• Deceased Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

pappy1,
Well,As to all the goodies u have for u'er conversion to a "M" nightfighter.The fighter nose will not fit the droop snoot opening.Believe on this.Thought about that awhile ago last year and when i checked as to what i was plannig to do.It was no go.There is a difference between the fighter version and the DS version.Larry

#3 pappy1

pappy1

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:58 AM

pappy1,
Well,As to all the goodies u have for u'er conversion to a "M" nightfighter.The fighter nose will not fit the droop snoot opening.Believe on this.Thought about that awhile ago last year and when i checked as to what i was plannig to do.It was no go.There is a difference between the fighter version and the DS version.Larry

Thanks Larry,But I have the whole gondola section from a doner kit, the wings,tail booms will be from the Droop snoot kit,But the whole cockpit section will be from the P-38 Fighter kit.....Pappy1Neal__s_planes_191.jpg

#4 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,600 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:44 AM

MY turn....I know I posted some pics already but this is a new thread. Bear with me
Trump P-38L to a P-38M Big Ed set, Jerry`s fantastic resin bits,LOTS. Eli`s decals. I`ll be doing SNOOKS/SHADY LADY.Also bottom right of pic is Verlindens dry transfer red stenciling sheet. They were the only all red stencils I could find to come close to what I wanted. I plan on opening a couple of panels on the right engin and add some scratch stuff as I go. This is a HUGE undertaking for me , so...wish me luck. I think with Neal, this will be a great thread!On to the pics..........Harv :speak_cool:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And of course...the new work area
Posted Image
  • MARU5137 and Girlscanplay2 like this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#5 pappy1

pappy1

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:08 AM

Dang Harv,You have really got some goodies,love that stenciling,now I'm jealous :speak_cool: ......Neal

#6 DaveJ

DaveJ

• Non-Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:18 AM

What a very cool idea! It'll be fun to watch the two of you do this double-build, I'm sure lots to be learned by all.

:speak_cool:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#7 mjlynch71

mjlynch71

LSP Member

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:49 AM

I am building the same kit right now, using the Phoneiex cockpit set, looks good with the belts. Thanks, Jerod

#8 JRutman

JRutman

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:34 AM

As far as the droop snoot goes,would you consider parting with the norden bombsight? I know some one that needs one? This is a very cool idea for a build thread btw.
JR

#9 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,600 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:39 AM

Jerry, while your here, I have a question for you. The wheel set for this, is there supposed to be wfeels with it or just the tires? I only got the tires.........Harv :speak_cool:

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away

#10 JRutman

JRutman

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Jerry, while your here, I have a question for you. The wheel set for this, is there supposed to be wfeels with it or just the tires? I only got the tires.........Harv :thumbsup:

Just the tires,
JR

#11 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,600 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:00 AM

Well, new year, new bench, new build. Plastic has been glued! I know its not squat but it IS an update!...........Harv :)
Posted Image
  • Girlscanplay2 likes this

#12 Adrian A.

Adrian A.

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:34 AM

Looking great Harv! Any update is better than none - I haven't touched my Lightning in weeks.
Those engines are some jewels aren't they?
I wish you luck on opening the panels. I considered it on my build, but it was just a bit much for me to tackle for now.
This ship is a tail sitter if your not careful with the weights - even with the weights I have in mine, it still takes very little to make it squat. I think I'll add some more weights in the gunbay, near the firewall - just in case.

It's nice having some more Lightings being built, I'll be keeping an eye on these!

Adrian
In the Works -
1/24 Airfix P-51D Mustang'Petie 3rd'
1/32 Trumpeter P-38L (Aircraft of the Aces Group Build)

Next Up
1/32 Trumpeter P-51B Mustang 'Shangri La'

#13 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,600 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:01 AM

Thanks Adrian. The one engine that is partially assembled will go in the closed up side. Its also a test for the other one to determine shape, fit, and what and what not I can add. Thats the one good thing about twin engines! I know it will be a battle to get the panels cut out. I`ve already decided it will be only 3 panels. Maybe only 2 if it gets too difficult.........Harv :)

#14 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,600 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:57 AM

Another small update. I have 1 panel cut out. Wow, that was fun. Lots of nice deep cuts to get rid of too. Please leave a comment .........Harv :BANGHEAD2:

Posted Image
  • Girlscanplay2 likes this

#15 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:46 AM

Wow, nice start guys!!!

Harv...as one who would like to open up an engine panel on my Trumpeter also...sure would have been nice if Trumpy would at least have given us engraved cut lines on the interior of the engine bay, wouldn't of it? :BANGHEAD2:
Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users