Trumpy 1/32 F8F Thai AF Bearcat

Out2gtcha

Hello all!

I am new to the LSP forums, but have been making large scale planes my whole modeling career (cause as we ALL KNOW, bigger IS more beautiful in modeling) . I stopped modeling for whatever reason when I was in high school, and after a 15 or 20 year break, Im back into 1/32 scale modeling (with some 1/48 as well)

Since beginning this new modeling renaissance, I encountered an article called Foiling Plastic and Resin Model Kits for Realism by Ken Friend

After reading this article I was intrigued. So I bought a kit of my favorite subject (a 1/48 F7F-3 Tigercat....unfortunately only available in 1/32 vac....and a horrible kit at that), and got started foiling models with kitchen foil, glue and Ken's extremely helpful techniques.

From that point on, I was completely hooked. I really only have done 1 model in paint since. Foil can be a bit teadious at times, but no more so than a really superb paint job. However, the tecniques of foiling Ive found do take at least 3 or 4 models to perfect............and I still havnt perfected it yet.

However, the results (I think) turn out SO much better/more realistic than even the best metalizers, or powers out there, that even the average guy modeler like myself can get results that look like the real thing

This is my latest finished foil project, a 1/32 F8F-1 of the Royal Thai AF.

I have used a variety of kitchen foils, varying the side used (shiny or dull side) along with many different techniques to grain the foil, and some process for chemically altering the look of the foil, including some soaked in a special solution, and some panels of foil soaked in water that had of all things in it, hard boiled egg shells! Both of the latter processes turn the foil differing shades, from the multi-hue rainbow hues of metal put under tremendous heat, to the egg water treatment that turns the foil varying shads of platinum and gray depending on how long its left in the water.

Im new here so upload space looks like its non-existent, so Ive just put some links to pics up.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Brian Leitch

DSC00279.JPG

DSC00282.JPG

DSC00287.JPG

DSC00306.JPG

DSC00307.JPG

DSC00308.JPG

DSC00309.JPG

DSC00310.JPG

DSC00313.JPG

DSC00314.JPG

Edited by LSP_Dave
Made the pics in-line

Welcome to LSP Brian. Your foiled Bearcat is awesome! Extremely impressive work. I have Ken's article and have been contemplating trying a foiled model (instead of foiling it in my usual sense), and your Bearcat is just the inspiration I need.

Kev

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

I know I don't know any of you yet, but I have already been made to feel very welcome, and everyone so far has been nothing but knowledgeable and very helpful. :huh:

I really am into 1/32 scale, and enjoy cockpit detailing especially since one can sometimes get a actual finger inside some and like the 1/32 Tamaya F4F-J im thinking of starting, maybe a whole HAND inside the front office(s)!

Thanks again for the welcome and kind words,

Brian

PS, I'm still no expert on foiling but if anyone has any questions or wants to try foiling, Id be more than happy to share any techniques or processes Ive used to achieve differing panels (and there are a TON ive found!)

Brian

Welcome to the forums

That's a really nice build. :speak_cool:

For years my late father had a F8F in Thai markings similar to /same as yours, and I always

enjoyed looking at it, and taken in by the cool mean look the aircraft had.

Thanks for posting

Regards

Alan

• 3 weeks later...