Photo

LF info on P-51D The Millie P colors, etc.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

This hobby can be frustating at times.
I have a 1/72 Revell P-51 kit from the 1960's with a great color scheme.
I want to scale up the markings to put them on a 1/32 scale P-51D from my stash, but the decals are missing from the kit.
All I have to go by is the painting on the box. The instructions say nothing about the colors and placement of decals.
Copy_of_1_72_P_51D_Mustang_Revell_red.jpg
I'd appreciate any help in running down more info on this plane so I get the colors right and in the right place on the 1/32 scale version.
Thanks,
Stephen
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#2 CharlesMetz

CharlesMetz

• Deceased Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

This hobby can be frustating at times.
I have a 1/72 Revell P-51 kit from the 1960's with a great color scheme.
I want to scale up the markings to put them on a 1/32 scale P-51D from my stash, but the decals are missing from the kit.
All I have to go by is the painting on the box. The instructions say nothing about the colors and placement of decals.

I'd appreciate any help in running down more info on this plane so I get the colors right and in the right place on the 1/32 scale version.

Um, Stephen: Are you aware that that "great color scheme" is one of the legendary fubars of box-art history? I didn't see a smiley, so ...

Charles Metz
"Back off, man; I'm a scientist."
-- Dr. Peter Venkman (Bill Murray) in Ghostbusters

#3 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

Um, Stephen: Are you aware that that "great color scheme" is one of the legendary fubars of box-art history? I didn't see a smiley, so ...

Charles Metz

Hi Charles,
No wonder I couldn't find it in any of the books!
Its rather fictional, y'say?
Oh well. It was handsome.
Thanks,
Stephen :rolleyes:
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#4 vvwse4

vvwse4

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hi Charles,
No wonder I couldn't find it in any of the books!
Its rather fictional, y'say?
Oh well. It was handsome.
Thanks,
Stephen :rolleyes:

Hi Stephen,

Not excactly fictional. 55th fighter group, 343rd squadron Robert Welsh was the pilot. Maybe there were more like this. Dark part OD or RAF Dark Green, yellow striping, yellow-green nose.

Posted Image

Even tried it myself on the old Monogram 1/48 kit like a million years ago

Posted Image

Its a beauti of a mustang anyway.

#5 CharlesMetz

CharlesMetz

• Deceased Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:05 AM

Stephen,

Now that I know you weren't joking, I'll tell you that the real aircraft was painted olive drab or RAF Dark Green rather than red, as vvwse4 mentioned above, and that it was in fact named The Millie G rather than The Millie P. Here's a photo:

Posted Image

along with a close-up of the nose art, in which the "G" does look a lot like a "P," and the photo's caption in the book cited on the first scan:

Posted Image Posted Image
Please note that the caption explains the basis for the box art that you showed earlier.

Also FYI, the markings for this aircraft were included in Hasegawa's "Nose Art" release (SP33) of their venerable 1/32 P-51D kit. However, those decals render the nose-art name in red, whereas it seems to me to be yellow in the photo above.

Charles Metz

#6 moeggo

moeggo

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

Hey Stephen,

I am currently building the same aircraft over ARC you can check it out here - http://www.arcforums...howtopic=173273 its in 48th, but it should help.

I did some research be fore i started. It should Olive Drab of RAF Dark Green ove the fuselage, with a red outline to the end of the wing root. The spinner and checkerboards are done in what I would call a British Racing Green and a Mid Yellow with the same yellow on the tail. The Millie G is in yellow with a green outline.

Hope this helps! I could scan the Tamiya Paint guide for you!

Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

b17_zps445bec45.gif

#7 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

Stephen,
Now that I know you weren't joking, I'll tell you that the real aircraft was painted olive ....
Charles Metz

No Charles, I was not joking. Athough I do kid around quite a bit. :)
My main interests in model airplanes are:
1) the overall shape of the airplane itself, which is why I seldom worry about details.
2) the color and camoflage and marking schemes.
3) the history of the aircraft, development, use, capabilities, mis-use, etc.

I am an artist (a sculptor), so the shapes and colors have great meaning for me.
Thus I seldom ask a question unless I am serious about it.

For example, I was very serious when I stated that I think the Trumpeter's new models with over 300 pieces may be the way to go in satisfying every modeler.

First, modelers who want to put in all the details will be satisfied because they can save money by not having to buy aftermarket detail kits.

Second, guys like me are happy as I can choose what parts I want to include in the model as I build it. The fact that I can use the extra parts as a gondola load or in a scrap yard on my G gauge model railroad means that I am making good use of all that I buy.
I was not being facetious when I said that a couple months ago, although it did raise the hackles on some members. I was not making fun of them. I was showing an alternative use of the kit parts. We all march to the beat of different drummers.

Third, the inclusion of extra parts may encourage many OOB modelers to try to include more details in their models. Many people just put together a kit for fun and relaxation and use the decals that came with it. They do not want to purchase extra expensive aftermarket parts for the models. Here, however, they are given the many detail parts and just having them in the kit may encourage them to expand their sights as to how much detail they can put in their models.

So, I am not against anybody's ideas, or ideals, of how a model should be built. I have mellowed over the years and I have learned to accept the fact that everybody has the right to build their models their way.

Stephen
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#8 mhorina

mhorina

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

To all who are viewing or have viewed this thread. Looking at the pics of the real plane on my confuser the swosh on the nose and the lettering of the name apper to be the same color ( red? ). The checkered nose does not appear to be the color of the swosh or the name. The light colored checks and the lightest band match the codes ( white? ). The nose cap and the darker band on the spinner match the plane ( OD? Green? ) The rudder appears to be white! or yellow? The horse motiff in the first pic almost looks black in the 2nd pic it looks red. In the 1st pic the canopy frame looks NM in the last 2 pics it could be color of the swosh ( red? )The pics were taken at different times as noted by the light colored bands on the stabs 1 pic without 1 pic with.. Any one else care to comment on the colors? I'm not trying to detract from anyone elses research just commenting on how the colors in black and white pics appear to match various items to each other
Mike Horina

#9 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

To all who are viewing or have viewed this thread. Looking at the pics of the real plane on my confuser the swosh on the nose and the lettering of the name apper to be the same color ( red? ). The checkered nose does not appear to be the color of the swosh or the name. The light colored checks and the lightest band match the codes ( white? ). The nose cap and the darker band on the spinner match the plane ( OD? Green? ) The rudder appears to be white! or yellow? The horse motiff in the first pic almost looks black in the 2nd pic it looks red. In the 1st pic the canopy frame looks NM in the last 2 pics it could be color of the swosh ( red? )The pics were taken at different times as noted by the light colored bands on the stabs 1 pic without 1 pic with.. Any one else care to comment on the colors? I'm not trying to detract from anyone elses research just commenting on how the colors in black and white pics appear to match various items to each other
Mike Horina

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have read about the properties of the orthographic (?) black and white film that was used back then. It tended to make colors like yellow apear very dark, like black or dark gray. So that may also be a consideration when trying to determine tha correct colors in use at the time.
Stephen
P.S. Doing the research can take more time than the building of the model.
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#10 rotary

rotary

• Deceased Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have read about the properties of the orthographic (?) black and white film that was used back then. It tended to make colors like yellow apear very dark, like black or dark gray. So that may also be a consideration when trying to determine tha correct colors in use at the time.
Stephen

stephen and guys---wish i had a printer and knew how to scan etc. fumble(at best) with computers. my 'classic fighters and bombers of world war 11' by aerodata has a full page colour art (by roy mills) which shows CY-D 'miss velma' in standard finish but dark areas(like the photos) r.a.f. dark green --- thin red border. yellow rudder, red horse higher up. green/yellow checks--green yellow spinner bands --'miss velma' in small capitals in black--white tail bands on upper---no bands on lower anywhere.
cheers,
dave.

#11 mhorina

mhorina

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Stephen,
You are not telling me any thing new. I thought it was bad enough 40 years ago when I started building models but since the confuser age the research takes more of your time then building 2 or 3 models. Just like now
Mike

#12 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

Stephen,
You are not telling me any thing new. I thought it was bad enough 40 years ago when I started building models but since the confuser age the research takes more of your time then building 2 or 3 models. Just like now
Mike

And expensive, too.
I just did a search and found the book 'classic fighters and bombers of world war 11' by aerodata at a bookstore in Australia and it will cost close to $50. Thats twice what I paid for the kit!
I think my desire to build this particular model is quenched.
Besides, I prefer the wrong Red color, not the RAF green or OD.
I'm gonna build something else. :)
Stephen
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#13 vvwse4

vvwse4

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:56 AM

And expensive, too.
I just did a search and found the book 'classic fighters and bombers of world war 11' by aerodata at a bookstore in Australia and it will cost close to $50. Thats twice what I paid for the kit!
I think my desire to build this particular model is quenched.
Besides, I prefer the wrong Red color, not the RAF green or OD.
I'm gonna build something else. :unsure:
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Was only trying to help a bit....

Rick.

#14 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

Hi Stephen,

Was only trying to help a bit....

Rick.

Rick,
Please don't feel bad. Its not your fault.
I just think it is funny at times how I get so involved in the research that I lose interest in building the model.
In truth, I like to paint the unusual and colorful paint schemes.
If the rear fuselage was really painted red I would build the model and paint it that way.
Since it is either OD or British green, I am no longer interested.
However, I may do it anyway and paint it red. I like the colors
I'm into WW1 planes primarily because of the colors of the flying circus.
I knew of one guy who made an entire particular German WW2 squadron at a particular point in time, painting every individual aircraft accurately. He was unconcerned about the accuracy of the kits he bought, nor did he worry about the details. He just built them OOB and concentrated on the painting and markings.
Everyone has their own idea as to how to enjoy this hobby.
Everyone is correct in how he does it, there is no one perfect way to build a model.
Its a hobby.
Enjoy!
Stephen
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#15 CharlesMetz

CharlesMetz

• Deceased Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

--snip--
Since it is either OD or British green, I am no longer interested.
However, I may do it anyway and paint it red. I like the colors
--snip--

Stephen,

The spinner and checkered cowling might look good in purple and orange while you're at it. Here's another photo so you can get everything else right. I look forward to seeing your red Millie G here soon.

Posted Image

Charles Metz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users