Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:34 AM
I believe I am right about the assignment of this aircraft to VMF-214 but they were on the ship only for a short time before the Franklin was heavily damaged by Japanese aircraft while off the coast of Japan in the spring of 1945.
Now for the mess. The kit cockpit is not really what is in the plane so a little cutting here and there gets rid of the floor. Trying to build this thing on a budget so no aftermarket to make things nice. Not wanting to reinvent the wheel I eliminated the floor by adding some tubing and using the kit floor as a jig to set the heights of the bulkheads. A hassle but it worked, sort of.
I just wanted to busy things up as the real thing is just crammed with plumbing. Most of this can't be seen anyway.
The sides were just kind of busied up with styrene too.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will look ok with some paint.
Thanks for looking,
Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:53 AM
I think your solution to the cockpit is very clever. Can't wait to see what's next!
Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:06 AM
Finished: Revell Dora | Hasegawa Emil | Revell Zero Rebuild | 21st Century C.202 | Tamiya A6M5 Zero | Hasegawa Avia S-92 | Hasegawa Fw 190D-11 | Matchbox Sea Venom
In Progress: Hasegawa Fw 190S Conversion | Matchbox Spitfire 22/24 | XS-Models Hughes H-1
Shelf of Shame: Revell X-1 | Matchbox Emil
Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:01 PM
Looking terrific, as usual. Can't wait to see what's coming next! Later, Russ
Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:21 AM
I got a little bit more work done. This kit has some fiddly bits to it, the tail gear with it's movable linkage for one. Not so sure I like that. Oh well, got the cockpit painted up but it is a long way to go to button up the fuselage. You have to build the 900 piece powerplant first. Great, more glue stuck fingers.
we will see how my floorless set up works
I thinned up the sides of the kit seat and shortened the back up a bit as it just looked way too long. The oxygen bottle is a 1/48th sc250 bomb with a little creative plumbing. Next time I might opt for an aftermarket cockpit but this build is on a budget.
Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:53 AM
Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:37 AM
it looks just great!
Keep it up.
In the work :
Dornier Do 335
Completed builds :
Nakajima B5N Kate
Spitfire Mk I
DB-603 Engine Master Pattern (on sale)
Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:48 PM
on a budget or not it's turning out beautifully!
Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:40 PM
The engine is pretty good considering they give you pretty much everything front and back. Too bad you can't see most of it with the cowling on.
I did have to add a few things like wiring, a data plate and the P & W logo. Don't look too close at that though.
Thanks for looking
Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:05 PM
Whups, I wasn't supposed to look that close. My bad. he he. Looking superb as usual Matt. Don't get nervous cause I'm so close looking over your shoulder while you're building this,....ever since that freak fishing accident, I just do that. Can't wait to see more, dude! Russ
Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:53 AM
I was not convinced the movable tail gear was a good idea but it just might come in handy to keep me from snapping it off during my marathon sanding exercises.
That's it for now, I have to get some work done on my F-105D. Hopefully it will continue push Russ down the dark path in his pursuit of phantom perfection!
Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:21 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users