Komet !

Tony Mollica

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd have a go at doing an online build. It's the old Hasegawa Me 163, which I think is basically a nice kit. It's planned to be the first part of a three part series featuring the Me 163, the Revell He 162 and a Trumpy Me 262. Here's hoping it goes well, and I actually finish the series !!!

Without further ado, I've painted up the Grand Phoenix cockpit set, which is well engineered and I think looks OK when done.

Please add your comments along the journey.

Cheers

Tony

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

I'm looking forward to this one too Tony, as I also have this kit in the stash. What are you going to do with the engine area? My thinking would be to pose it separately from the completed airframe and keep the fuselage closed up.

Kev

Thanks everyone.

Kev - I haven't given too much thought to the engine itself yet. I will definitely be closing up the fuselage. In general I prefer not to open many panels on my models, I prefer the clean look for them. As the model will eventually sit on a base depicting the airfield where it sits at rest, it may not be appropriate to do the engine at all, other than what can be seen on the model.

I've got some more photos of the dolly and wheels for tonight, and some questions which I hope someone can help with.

Cheers

Tony

Hi again,

This update is on the wheels and dolly.

I've been able to find photos of three different types of tyre on the Komet. One with the tread running across the tyre, another with the tread running around the tyre, and it seems more commonly, with no visible tread at all.

Interestingly, I don't think there are any aftermarket wheels available for this kit, which I was a little surprised at.

Since the kit depicts tyres without tread, and I'm a naturally lazy soul, I'm content to leave them with no tread.

I've also noticed on numerous photos, there there is little noticeable bulging of tyres on operational aircraft, so I haven't depicted it either. This is going well !

I have carefully removed the seam that runs down the centre of the tyre, but this is quite noticeable on some of the photos I've seen, so I guess it would have been OK to leave a careful representation of it, but I didn't.

005.jpg

See - no bulging.

I've added a little detail to the hub by drilling out the centre, and adding a little detail there (Not sure what that thing is called)

I've also drilled out the centre of the disc offset on the hub (what's that for ?) as per photo reference.

The one on the left has been completed. By comparison, the wheel on the right has only been flattened slightly.

030.jpg

I didn't mess with the inside hubs at all.

Now the dolly, this is a little controversial.

The dolly in the photo is unchanged from the kit, other than fixing it where I broke it.

008.jpg

I have seen one photo of a dolly that looks like this next to a Komet in a museum, however most of the dollys seem to be quite different, like this one.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Me..._type_wheel.jpg

The Eduard detail set also supports this shape. The Ace Publication shows two different dollys on page 17, but the one that might be like the kit item is shown front on, and it's hard to be sure.

Can anyone clear this up for me please ? Were there two types in service ? Were they appropriate for different versions, like the ME 163B-0 and the Me 163B1-a or is there some other explanation ?

Thanks guys

Cheers

Tony

My new Hasegawa Trytools scriber, rivet puncher and rivet gauges arrived from Rainbow Ten yesterday. Keen to give them a whirl, I've scribed the upper wing halves tonight. The panel detail is quite simple and it only took a few minutes.

Loved the scriber. This is from an old boxing and the old Hasegawa grey plastic is always really hard, so I found it tough going with the rivet puncher, but it will get the job done. At least they're evenly spaced.

Sorry, no pics tonight, nothing to really show.

At least it's progress.

Cheers

Tony

hi Tony,

going great. Here's a piccie of the one in our AWM if its of any help. They've got them tucked up in the corner with sensors that go off the moment you go anywhere near them. Its very hard to get a clear and unimpeded view.

Which suburb you in mate? We'll have to catch up at some stage with Big Kev and Chris ( Valiant Wagon)

post-901-1194070473.jpg

hi Tony,

going great. Here's a piccie of the one in our AWM if its of any help. They've got them tucked up in the corner with sensors that go off the moment you go anywhere near them. Its very hard to get a clear and unimpeded view.

Which suburb you in mate? We'll have to catch up at some stage with Big Kev and Chris ( Valiant Wagon)

Hey Matt,

I'm down in sunny Langwarrin. What about you ?

Thanks for the photo, good detail visible on the hub. I'm going for the treadless tyre option, but I am surprised this hasn't been done by one of the aftermarket outfits.

I can't decide on the scheme, I've been tempted by that all red one, but I read somewhere that there's not a photo of it existing.

Then, is the red RLM 02 or some other red. I've also heard that it was darker than RLM 02. As I believe the aircraft only wore that scheme for a period of days, the weathering would be quite light. I'm worried that it would look too toy-like.

Cheers

Tony

Hey Matt,

I'm down in sunny Langwarrin. What about you ?

Thanks for the photo, good detail visible on the hub. I'm going for the treadless tyre option, but I am surprised this hasn't been done by one of the aftermarket outfits.

I can't decide on the scheme, I've been tempted by that all red one, but I read somewhere that there's not a photo of it existing.

Then, is the red RLM 02 or some other red. I've also heard that it was darker than RLM 02. As I believe the aircraft only wore that scheme for a period of days, the weathering would be quite light. I'm worried that it would look too toy-like.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

The reason you think there is no aftermarket tires available is because ,and I may be wrong but ,they look the same as the wheels on the 109 K and the Me162. I believe the offset circle is for the valve to inflate the tire. The eight bolt wheels are used not only on 109Ks and 162s but also on some 109s with the large upper wing bulges If you search aftermarket wheels for that wheel you will find some. Actually it is my opinion that the best looking kit wheels are those in the Revell Germany Me162 kit. HTH

Mike Horina

Hi Tony,

The reason you think there is no aftermarket tires available is because ,and I may be wrong but ,they look the same as the wheels on the 109 K and the Me162. I believe the offset circle is for the valve to inflate the tire. The eight bolt wheels are used not only on 109Ks and 162s but also on some 109s with the large upper wing bulges If you search aftermarket wheels for that wheel you will find some. Actually it is my opinion that the best looking kit wheels are those in the Revell Germany Me162 kit. HTH

Mike Horina

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, it helps. I've got a Revell 162, but the thing working against it is that it might be my next build. I checked the wheels after reading your post, and they are very nice. I don't have a 109K, but I do have a 109G-14, but it has six bolt wheels. I'll have a sniff around for some aftermarket ones.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

The wheel for the '163 is the '109K-4 - style 8 bolt late pattern. It's a simple wheel, much like you'd see on a hand trolley of the kind you'd buy at Bunnings, only more heavy duty of course. Two stamped metal disks, held together by the bolts, and with a Kotter pin across the gap on the hollow axle to keep the wheel on. There are at least two aftermarket versions of this wheel in 1/32nd scale AFAIK, as part of the Aires detail set for the He 162, and wheels-only set for the '162 by Airwaves.

HTH...

P.S. - My dog came from Pearcedale Pound!

D'oh, I've got that set. Forgot I had it until you mentioned it specifically. Thanks for the tip Wumm. Did you come from Pearcedale, or get the dog on a trip down here ? I'm not far down the road from the Langwarri nturnoff.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Steve,

It is indeed a small world. Thanks for the tip on Spate's a/c, I still haven't decided on whether to go for it or not.

I attached a photo of the work I've done on the wings, still a little bit to go. I need to decide whether to play with the hinges or press on, I feel like I'm starting to bog down on this one, which I really don't want to do.

Anyway, the rescribing has been highlighted. I still need to add some rivets, there a a few other smaller corrections done too. I also need to finish removal of the overscale fabric effect on the control surfaces.

Cheers

Tony

016.jpg