Afghanistan Diorama - Mi-24

TimW

I've been inspired for quite a while looking at Mr. Reid's ongoing efforts.

Here are some shots of a diorama I actually finished last year, but not until now did I figure out how to properly attach photos to emails for this forum--I feel like a real internet luddite sometimes.

Nevertheless, for your viewing pleasure...

The Place: Bagram, 1987-88. Troops of the VDV and Spesnatz prepare for a morning mission to insert recon teams somewhere into the big bad high country.

The kit is the Trumpeter Hind, with an interior and exhaust suppressors, chaff and flare despensers from Cobra Company. The figures are a mixture of Dragon/DML VDV/Airborne, with extensive modification as well as the ICM Soviet Motor Rifle troops and the Soviet Artillery crew at rest figures that usually go with the ICM BM-21 launcher. The helo crew are two of the Lincoln figures, modified with other arms/etc.

The jeep was a dog and the most traumatic aspect of building this thing. It was a kit originally from Moldova (can't remember who makes it) and it nearly didn't make it onto the board it was saw warped, badly molded, etc. But I persevered.

The Runway is by Verlinden.

More to come!

Tim W.

post-717-1180654637.jpg

It does get to you doesn't it. Great work. The figures' poses are excellent. Did you find those figures as they are or did you modify them?

They are a mixture of out of the box (the two guys crouching over the rocket pod, the officer with the notebook) and modification (the RPK gunner, and the guy holding the map and the helo crewman by the hatch).

Before I got back into aircraft modelling extensively, I'd done a fair mount of diorama/figure work and was able to put it to use in this case.

Glad you're enjoying this scene!

Tim W.

That looks great!

Where did the truck come from?

The kit was by a group called "Military Wheels." I think it's an old Soviet/Russian mold. Here's a link:

http://hobbyworld.aoshima-bk.co.jp/scripts...ek_code=MIW3508

I didn't need the 106mm RR in this case, but this kit was a real monster to get together. Very soft plastic, bad alignment of parts and lots of flash.

I was so frustrated at times I almost gave up--but I really wanted a jeep type vehicle to add to this scene.

In the end I persevered!

Tim W

• 7 years later...

Excellent diorama Tim! I like the model of your Ми-24 very much and figures are looking beautiful!

I am wondering why there is no one after marked firm to offer the late Afghanistan war  â€œÐŸâ€version! The one with 30mm guns

ad619a1fd445.jpg

I can't believe something that is so needed to the scale modeling market is not possible to be found!

68eb93f875cf.jpg

ca80ae2e4aae.jpg

Enjoy this video

Holy crap....this was 7 years ago?  Time is definitely flying faster than I'd like!!!!!  :frantic:

I like that 30mm gun variant....be really nice if somebody did do that AM!

Cheers,

Tim W.

7 or 17 years ago doesn't matter. I browse in this forum but this is the only diorama dedicated to the СССР war in Afghanistan including Ми-24 in 1:35. Correct me if I am wrong.

Some more cool photos of â€ÐŸâ€ modification 

43c69563e84c.jpg

a53fd7b4388d.jpg

610dc11dfac2.jpg

bfbf8da4c620.jpg