1/32 Mk5b Spitfire the saga continues

Hej guys... if you remember from the "in progress section" from the last year or so... I have started a Revell MkI/II Spitfire... converted to the Mk5b with homemade vac parts. Well, I have decided to take a break from the Stuka and finish this Spitfire. It is almost ready for the final painting!

Well... here is the latest update! The model has been riveted with Rosie, primed, and preshaded... and then sanded with 4000 then 8000 micro mesh to get a nice even finish.

I have had some trouble with the digital camera... finally got it to work. Sorry that the pics are not all that clear, but you get the idea! :lol:

For those who would like to see Part I:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Works/Troi...e/Spitfire.html

Part II:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Works/Troi...1/Spitfire.html

Part III:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Works/Troi...2/Spitfire.html

post-4-1148592144_thumb.jpg

Here she is on another angle: I still need to paint those flap areas in aluminum.... and that has me a little worried! I want to try the ALCLAD.... but since I never used it before.... I would rather just go with a Testors Mealizer Aluminum.... time wil tell!!

post-4-1148592230_thumb.jpg

And here is my favorite little part.... I made the springs and the handle all from Eduard, kit parts and scratch.... I will even place the crow bar in there... but I am not sure if they were red or just the same green as the cockpit??

post-4-1148592526_thumb.jpg

And here is all the small stuff that still needs to be added! I have sawed the elevator trim tabs open so that they will be in the correct position when I droop the elevator. I have finally sorted all the RAF colors out from the Gunze and Tamiya selections... and I have decided on a nice Dark green/ Dark Sea Grey/ underneath: Medium Sea Grey camouflage scheme of the Polish squadron..... I can't wait to start painting!!

Cheers and thanks for taking the time to check her out! Any and ALL comments appreciated... I am by no means a Spitfire expert, so I appreciate any input guys!

Alan :P

...fianally finishing a Spifire for the collection! :lol:

post-4-1148592588_thumb.jpg

Alan, I reckon you doing a great job on the spit....the landing gear look super, as do the rest of the fiddly bits! The entry door looks bloody real! Can't wait to see it all fall together.

One question about the landing gear: does the brake line really loop down below the oleo section of the main strut? See below for what I mean.....don't even know if this is a Mk V strut (?), but thought I'd raise the issue.

Keep the superb progress shots coming!

Cheers

Ango

post-4-1148600569_thumb.jpg

Alan, beautiful work on that Spit, Subject to confirmation, I believe the crowbar was painted black or left in natural steel. Red crowbars seem to be a feature of restored Spits. Can't wait to see the finished result-

Jean

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input!

Brian, greeting my friend! She will be finished in the Polish Squadron (early) scheme. have a look here:

http://www.montex-mask.com/images/1_32/K32021.jpg

She will wear the markings of the upper model, I guess the cat is out of the bag now eh!!??

JCote! Thanks for the info! I had heard that, and I think I will go for a natural metal finish of the bar.

Ango, thanks for the input! I will be leaving the hydraulic lines as is.... I am not 100% sure... but ;) I did "copy" the idea from Brian beautiful Spit builds!!

Denie! Thanks mate! I can't wait to get her finished!

Cheers

Alan :lol:

A soon to be owner of a full restored (cough.. cough... BS...cough..) I mean model of a Mk5b.... one of the most beautiful single engin fighters of to grace the sky!

Hi Alan.

Thanks for the info.

However after seeing the pics you posted at first I thought you are doing a nightfigter.

OK, just joking!

She will be finished in the Polish Squadron (early) scheme. have a look here:

http://www.montex-mask.com/images/1_32/K32021.jpg

She will wear the markings of the upper model

Ahhh... lovely subject!

AA853 of 302 Polish Sqn. And not very typical markings. Can't wait to see her done.

BTW: I do not have masks you are using, but from small preview you attached I can say that white temporary bands presented in the instructions are too wide. They should be even slightly narrower than gaps between them.

Anyway eagerly waiting for progress.

Cheers,

May I add another WOW to the list

Man like I said before there are some real fine models (no not models near real miniplanes) build here.

keep it up I love every step of it.

You guys make me wanne build a prop B)

Ps does any of you guys know wich spitfire variant we (belgiums) flew during WWII or shortly after?

greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

May I add another WOW to the list

Man like I said before there are some real fine models (no not models near real miniplanes) build here.

keep it up I love every step of it.

You guys make me wanne build a prop B)

Ps does any of you guys know wich spitfire variant we (belgiums) flew during WWII or shortly after?

greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Hi Frederick,

I'm sure that Edgar will confirm all of the marks of Spitfire used by the Belgiums after the war, but ex-RAF Mk.IX's were definately used, possibly some Mk.XVI's, and later, maybe some Griffon engined Spits as well.

HTH

Derek

Years ago, talking to an ex-Spitfire pilot, who was admiring the display models, he said "Lovely models, but, you know, in all my years flying them, I never saw a red crowbar in a Spitfire; green, or black, never red." I suspect the red crowbars are a post-war health & safety issue.

I can't see, clearly, so this is not a criticism, but, did you set the slots, in the cowling fasteners, fore-and-aft? This was another attempt to decrease drag; modellers often don't appreciate the lengths that manufacturers went to, to keep drag down.

There is a Mk.I based near where I live, which is undergoing a restoration/repaint, and it will be wearing the colour scheme that you have chosen (so we are told.) It's supposed to be ready for the big "Spitfire Special," at Duxford, later this year.

Belgium flew 26 LF XVIe., 43 LF IXc/e., and 134 F/FR XIVe. One IX, SM-41, came back here, and reverted to its original serial MH434, now at Duxford, of course.

Edgar