Revellogram P-51 Phantom Mustang

BloorwestSiR

I bought this kit when it first came out whenever that was.

8d6205a6.jpg

I hadn't done anything with it and since I figure it's got to be an easier build than any of the other Mustang kits in my stash, I should be able to finish it by the deadline. At least I don't have to worry about a NMF :rolleyes:

Here's pretty much the kit's contents:

ff879087.jpg

I plan on an OOB build with 2 changes:

- I will use the pilot from the Tamiya kit since I won't be using it in that build

and

- I will use either decals from the Tamiya kit (maybe Lou IV) or some AM ones as the kit ones are pooched.

Carl

Cool. Never saw this kit before. Looks like box shows it to be a 50 year commerative model made in 1995?

Anyway, different for sure and looking forward to seeing it go together.

I believe (correct me if im wrong here guys) is a re-pop of the 70s/80s boxing of the same phantom kit.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Cool. Never saw this kit before. Looks like box shows it to be a 50 year commerative model made in 1995?

Anyway, different for sure and looking forward to seeing it go together.

Yup, 1995 which if I had even looked at the box top a b it more closely, i might have noticed :o

Can't believe I've had it that long...

I managed to get some initial work done on the kit. I'll have some pics by the weekend. So far, the fit isn't too bad, some joints are a bit sloppy but manageble.

Carl

I believe (correct me if im wrong here guys) is a re-pop of the 70s/80s boxing of the same phantom kit.

Brian

I'm not certain when the kit originally came out but it's definitely a re-issue. The instructions are mostly black and white photos of the assemblies along with some simple line drawings so I would guess the 70s.

Carl

I can't remember what I paid for it but it is a cool looking kit. Maybe get the ZM Mustang when that comes out and display them next to each other?

No pics at the moment but I have started work on it. Hopefully I'll have some by the weekend. The plan is paint most of the parts in similar colours to what they're molded in. A lot of it needs clean up especially some of the mold lines.

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got to start on the kit. I should still be able to meet the deadline. I hope.

Anyway, here's a page from the instructions showing what they're like:

16ea5c3d.jpg

A definite blast from the past.

Here's where they ave you start, with the base and the gears inside:

01d01ad5.jpg

08a48828.jpg

One of the few times I can remember where you need to put grease on a model.

Next was the engine. I know the colours are not 100% accurate but I figured some artistic license here would be fine. In fact, that is the approach I've taken with this kit as far as the colours and details go. Especially since this will most likely end up in my son's room.

3ef837ce.jpg

f5318b63.jpg

I have only given some parts a slight wash to bring out some of the details a bit.

Here's the main gear. I replaced the wheels with those from a Tamiya kit.

2b49f573.jpg

I've also taken the pilot figure from the Tamiya kit to use here and he's almost a perfect fit. I had to shave a bit off his butt to make him fit the seat.

57c39bed.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

After looking at the kit's .50 cal guns, I decided to pilfer the ones out of a Dragon P-51 kit. I figured the Dragon kit has the wings closed up anyways so I might as well use them where they will be seen.

Here's a comparison pic of the original kit gun above one from the Dragon kit. I painted them with XF-1 flat black and then used some gun metal weathering pastels to give them a bit of a metallic look.

4e5b94df.jpg

They will need a slight trim to fit in the Monogram gun box. I will use the Dragon ammo belts as well.

The prop was one of the first sub-assemblies I managed to complete:

085c86fd.jpg

148b371c.jpg

As a >much< younger modeler. I scrimped & saved to get one of these....got it at the local drugstore....I painted 1/2 the fuselage OD/Grey, while leaving the other side clear....it was the flag-ship of my collection for quite a while.

Thanks for the pix of the instructions!....sure takes one back.

Happy modeling,

Jim