Raised or Recessed Panel Lines, what to do?

Kyle49

I prime first with a strong primer that contrasts with the color of the plastic.  I then sand down the surface until the raise lines are almost gone, but not quite; the remaining primer highlights the lines so that it is easy to see.  Since the raised line is almost gone, I then use Dymo tape as a straight edge and scribe either over the old line or just next to it.  When I am all done with the part, I sand smooth and re-prime to check for issues.

If the primer is strong enough, i.e. it reacts with the plastic, you can sometimes sand off the raised line and still see a line where it was.  This makes it even easier to scribe.

Another tip:

If the raised lines are accurate, use a sharp needle and make a very small hole at each end of a panel line and each time two lines cross each other. Then, use your favorite tool to scribe lines between the very small holes you just made. Quick and easy!

Thierry

Thierry, that's exactly the method I used the last time I tried it (1980s, I think, before I decided to steer clear of kits with raised lines). I figured it out on the basis of doing the same thing for making scratchbuild parts from sheet and it did work well, although it was tedious. Still, if I had to, I could do it again and now I have better tools for the task.