Yak-18 Bed Check Charlie 59: Done!

EmperorKai

Guest Clunkmeister

Thanks guys!  Got some airbrush time in last night, and will have some follow-up pics soon.

A Po-2 would cinch it, but unfortunately I don't think a 32 scale kit has been done yet.  Need more Russian stuff!  :)

82_2.jpg

Kai

Does Silver Wings do one of these in resin yet?

Good morning Kai, nice work on he pit. It's not a easy to find decent material, this may help.

Wow Martin- Awesome pics!  Thanks for sharing!  I started on the engine today and will do some comparing.  I've got an update for today that shows where I'm at so far...

Kai

Does Silver Wings do one of these in resin yet?

I wish!  Unfortunately not (yet) though.  About a year ago, an anonymous company asked the forum if there would be any interest, but it sounds like it didn't get much traction.  I would love to see a kit of the Po-2 myself, though I have to admit it's not at the top of the list.  When it comes to the Soviet stuff, which is getting better but still underrepresented, I'd really like to see more in way of Pe-2, IL-4, La-5, Yak-3/7/9, etc.

And when it comes to Silver wings (I love their stuff), I'm still soooo behind on getting caught up on many of their latest releases.

The only thing I came across was a paper kit in 1/33 scale.

Kai

Today's update

IMG_9932_zpsrohp3opz.jpg

After closing up the fuselage, started looking over everything and noticed that the rear of the fuselage is a little off in that the lower transition should be curved rather than the sharp angle represented in the kit.

Yak-18..OO-IAK...Lens%202007%206_zpss4es

Here, a pic of the underside of a Yak-18 that shows the fabric covered portion of the lower fuselage.  The kit is missing the ribs, panel and the curved transition.  In regards to the wing, it is also missing panel lines for the landing flap.

IMG_9939_zpsxeyehljg.jpg

To address this, I sanded down the edge along the lower fuselage.  Here, the right side is done compared to the original out of the box on the left side.  I'm inclined to go after the ribbing as well, but don't want to get bogged down, so I'll wait and see how the rest of the kit goes.

IMG_9902_zps9datggb8.jpg

The exhausts have shallow indentations on the ends, so these were all drilled out.  Here, the kit part on the left and the drilled out exhaust on the right.  Sorry for the blurry pic- these are really small.

IMG_9966_zpsikthxv1b.jpg

Finished up the engine, here temporarily attached to the firewall.  Impressive looking right out of the box.  When compared to the pics that Martin kindly posted, much more could be done, and was looking to at least add more in the way of wiring but....

w02278_4201244_zpsilcg1gku.jpg

Not much more is really visible through the cowling or in any of the expected places.

IMG_9944_zps5hpbutgk.jpg

Decided to turn my attention to the wings and with great relief found that a couple of improvements were all that might be needed.  Here, on the left, the kit represents the landing gear lock indicator as a solid bump on the wing.  This was drilled out and replaced with clear acetate (first one done on the right).

IMG_9951_zpse5hcpr2o.jpg

The kit doesn't provide anything for the landing light, so a box was built out and an MV Lens was used.

IMG_9957_zpsir37wkci.jpg

The external view of the completed landing light.

IMG_9981_zpsu7fme04c.jpg

Wings done and ready to go

Aside from the lower fuselage, not running into too many dilemmas.  The engine cowling though will need some work though, so I'll be focusing on that next.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

I wish!  Unfortunately not (yet) though.  About a year ago, an anonymous company asked the forum if there would be any interest, but it sounds like it didn't get much traction.

Funnily enough, even though I was the one who posted that thread on the company's behalf, I can't for the life of me remember who they were!

Kev