the start of my 1:24 He-162

joshua knuth

Joshua, that is tremendous work! Fast too!! I am sure you have seen that there is a 1/24th scale He 162 A-2 in the Gallery from Fred Yarema. Just thought I would let you know incase you haven't seen it already. Great inspiration and a great subject!! I am really looking forward to seeing this bird finished up! Model on....

Cheers

Alan

Ok in the last 24 hours I have leaped forward at great speed "things just seemed to work perfectly" dont worry I know it wont last forever. I have made a simple aginate mold and hard resin cast of the front 3 of the plane.

this is what I have.

post-4-1075482850.jpg

my next stage is re molding and casting the reworked front of the plane. and casting it thinner and in 2 halves.

this is going to make it easier for me to work on the cockpit while I wait for info on the engine and engine mount.

I will be taking pictures of the process and post them later. well off i go wish me luck!

here is one more pic showing how thin I will be doing the casting.

post-4-1075483136.jpg

Uh...

so like...uh...how much are these puppies going to cost? :rolleyes:

That shape is looking right on. Now I'm no Luftwaffle myself, but that is a Salamander if I've EVER seen one. And in 1/24!?!?!?!?!! Prepare to sell a few of these here.

Very nice work Joshua, very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Its still going very well. although my camera is not so no pics today or for a little while, Doh!!

I am working on the cockpit and front landing gear at the moment and have a few questions.

I have tons of photos and drawings, but none of them show a spot on the landing gear that i need detail.

its the small box shape at the front of the nose gear. I am attaching a photo with the area in question highlighted, and a photoshop drawing of the gear.

can anybody help on this one? :D

post-4-1076393786.jpg

Joshua, I have been watching this project with a great deal of inteest, (or Interest,i'm a crappy typer) and can't wait to see it done.

Q: how much?

As for your question, the photo shows what appears to be a 'remove before flight" pennent; is it possible the chunky thingee is some sort of lock to keep the nose wheel from rolling or castering while on the ground? I t looks like there are some threaded doodads atattched to the square chunky part perhaps to hand fix them th the forking swivel part?

I realise this is a very technical answer....... :lol:

you have a nice looking project going on there.

cheers mike in calif :(

I was thinking about a locking mech but wasnt sure. Ive got some pics being sent to me to confirm.

as for how much. I dont know? what is a resonable price for a resin kit.

I have never purchased one or even looked into it. any sugesstions ? I was thinking $80. too much, too low?

thanks for the interest though it means a lot to me. and your input is always welcome. my inbox is open day or night. thanks agian.

Joshua Knuth :lol:

The red tube is definitely aftermarket and is put around the nose strut to keep to from compressing during display.

As fas as the box in front it looks like part of the nose wheel swivel device and possible towing device. If you have the Aero Detail 10 on the Me 163 and He 162 there are some good pictures on page 66. Unfortunatley I don't have a scanner or I'd send you the pictures.

Perhaps another LSP person can provide them?

Mark Hernandez

Joshua, hello from over the pond! I know for sure that the red tube is a anti compression ring, much like the rubber tube that I used to "hose clamp" onto the forward nose gear oleo of my Twin Otter when I operated from rough ice fields/blue ice/etc to prevent the oleo from bottoming out. This tube prevents that from happening. As for the box on the nose gear fork, that looks to me to be a shimmy dampener used during landing and take off, also during taxiing. I really donot think it to be a ground towing fixture. I have seen the He in the museum in Canada towed around by a tow bar attached to the outside of the fork where the nose gear axle is mounted. I am not sure completely, but that is my guess for the box fixture. If somebody else knows exactly, I would too would be very interested in knowing. And oh by the way, as for the construction sites for these He 162's a friend I work with here in Austria has been in some of the salt caves during his military time in an area up by Salzburg. He told me that some of the caves still exist, and are used to store certain equiptment and some caves were demolished after the war. I always wondered if they still existed! Unfortunately no parts to find there, they are all gone!! Anyways, enough rambling.... Let's see some more pictures of your work.... this is a great project!

All the best and regards from a snowy white Austria

Al