slow progress Bronco.....

Jack

Here's the first of a couple of pics on the Bronco (Lee White's productions....)

Challenging the flap system, and about to adjust the shape of the nose section.

'Till later,

Jack.

post-4-1073078687.jpg

Hi, didn't make the molds myself, just got the (largely built already) vacform parts from LH, who got'em from Lee White.

I don't think Lee kept de molds........ :unsure:

rgds,

Jack

True.

The molds were part of my first attempt at making my own model, and were made of balsa and an R/C model filler that was very light and easily sanded. They couldn't take the heat, and began disintegrating almost immediately. I tried other methods too, like fiberglass covered foam, and keel and frame before just going the conventional route of carving Basswood. It really isn't difficult, and has become rather enjoyable in it's own right. The subject of my keel and frame experiment was to have been a 1/32 B-47. I got the fuselage started, getting as far as glueing all of the frames, or bulkheads onto the keel, before stopping. It is feasable, but I stopped 'cause it is too friggin' big. Makes my XB-51 (almost 3 feet long) look like a 1/72 kit. I still have it, and will dig it out and snap a pic. Anyone who wants to try thier hand at scratchbuilding should get the book by the same name by George Lee and John Alcorn. When I first got it, it looked intimidating, but after reading it a few times, realized that it wasn't so difficult. I would really like to encourage anyone who is thinking of trying it to do so!! :unsure:

Lee

Hi again,

Just as an addendum, if you do try to make your own model, I'd like to suggest starting on something simple. That's why I chose the Bronco- Slab sides, minimal compound curves, and a wing that wasn't swept, and did not have a taper. Initially, it was a short nosed version, since I wanted to do a Black Pony, but then i saw the NOGS version, and made a longer nose. That is why there is no pylons on it. This model was pretty rough, and to see what Jack has done with it is truly inspiring. Might have to do another, now that I know what I'm doing!! :unsure:

Lee