AIMS JU 88 G-6 1/32 conversion

Pastor John

Hi John,

Great to see you making this G-6 conversion set and creating some excellent decal subjects. I might offer you the following on a couple of these kites:

No.5 - "9W+ge.EL", WNr.621082, 3./I./NJG 101: The single photo of this aircraft reveals that the "9W" unit code is slightly above the upper horizontal bar of the balkenkreuz and not centred on the balkenkreuz as shown. In addition, it would appear, based on colour and b&w photographic evidence that this unit's Ju 88 and Bf 110 aircraft all had a wellen pattern painted in Braunviolett 81 over the factory-applied scheme. However, on this aircraft the starboard engine is a replacement finished with Dunkelgrün 71 or 83 on its uppersurface.

No. 7 - "3C+bl.DB", WNr.622959, Stab./I./NJG 4: A close view of extant photos of its tail reveals the presence of the FuG 220 "Lichtenstein" SN-2d's Rückwärts-Warnantenne marking "V D/R" in white (V = Frequency 5; D = 4th version of the SN-2; R = Rückwärts-Warnantenne). This would appear on both sides of the fin. The aircraft's fuselage uppersurface camouflage was much lightened 76 over 75, with the rudder - a sub-contracted component - painted in regular 76 with 75 mottles.

No.9 - "B4+sw.FA", WNr.621197, NJ-Staffel "Norwegen": The rudder - a sub-contracted component - painted in regular 76 with 75 mottles like aircraft No.7, above.

By the way, any thoughts on doing a G-1 conversion set?

All the best,

David

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for that - when I built my own 3C+DB in 1/72 I actually took the bottom of the rudder off - don't know why I missed that? Like I say they are works in progress. I would love to do a G-1 but need to finish this lot first!

Happy Christmas

John

Hi John,

I've overlooked a few obvious things in my life too - like the kitchen floor my wife just reminded me of!

If you wish to discuss any of these subjects further, drop me a PM and I'll provide any assistance required.

And the G-1, yeah, I should think that while attractive might require more work regarding the motors. At least all the important features are captured in the G-6 conversion.

Cheers,

David (here in Canada awaiting the "global warming blizzard" arriving from the US . . . )

Hi Nick,

I'm only in Bexleyheath come round over the holidays and see the masters and some of the casts if you want - all welcome!

Happy Christmas

John

he he thanks for the offer John :piliot:

seriously, wow! what a great looking set if the pics are anything to go by!!! :piliot:

re the radar antennae, are the Schatton ones appropriate?

http://www.modellbau-schatton.privat.t-onl...preisliste.html

they are item #3207 and are listed as FUG218 Neptun...

they look very cool, so a) are they the right ones and :speak_cool: would what Schatton make be a direct fit to the resin stubs / antenna bases supplied in this set?

finally, could you elaborate on the scratch building round the wheel covers etc?

either way, awesone looking project on the cards!

thanks for posting,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Sure the brass Neptune dipoles are appropreit but the cost goes up and up so I just cannot afford to get them at trade. I will include note and drawings on scratch building the rest . As for the gear doors there are two kind - the ones in the kit and those found with an inner skin with three oblong cut outs with the forward one have two thin bracing straps diaginally riveted on. All G-6's and most G-1s seem to have this style door.

Best wishes

John

Hi all - just an update from me. Fantasy Printshop is moving premises so decals likely to be ready by mid Feb rather than beginning of Feb - who know it might be quicker? I have just received a test shot of the photo etch which also included for me only a grill for my Jumo 213 prototype so I can finish that off now. Just need to make the walls for the epoxy resin vacuformed moulds and get all the vacuformed moulds sent off and that is everything done except instructions. The photo etch is amazing but like has been already said the larger SN2 dipoles especially will need replaced with something better but that would add another £15-20.00 ontop of the unit price!

Best wishes and Happy Christmas from John

hi John,

while we have you here, can i ask about / suggest some markings for a regular 88??

the one i have in mind in particular is that of Ju88 A-1 WNr 4068 M7+DK 2.KGr.806.

my interest is that it was shot down by 312 Czech Sqn over Speke on 8th October 1941 - and as my other half is Czech, this was originally my first choice as a project for the 88.

the other reason i would like to do it is that KGr806 have a particularly flamboyant squadron insignia, and one that i haven't seen markings for elsewhere.

post-6522-1261586788.jpg

i can dig out specific references for you if you like, but i think the pics are relatively well known.

anyway, just an idea, and maybe others would have interest or can suggest some other colourful schemes for a future sheet...

cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Ideas always welcome - sadly can only do one project at a time as I am supposed to be a Pastor whose hobby is modelling not a modeller whose hobby is Pastoring??? What an interesting life it is!

Happy Christmas

John

he he

no worries

i understand, especially as this is one of you "busy times"!!

i will keep a log of what i think might be interesting schemes (with commercial appeal in mind) and stay in touch

as another aside, with Revell bringing out their He111, you may want to steal a march on the some of the other producers and start thinking about some sheets for that plane?

there are as many if not more cool schemes to choose from...

but then again i'm sure you've already thought about that!

have a great Christmas

Nick