Quick question (maybe) about BF 110-E2 schemes

CATCplSlade

Hi. I have the Cyber Hobby E-2 kit and have an opportunity to get another at a ridiculous price and was wondering what paint options I have besides the African and Mediterranean schemes offered in the box. I have searched for decals sets but they all seem to focus on the C/D/G versions. Could I fudge an earlier decal set onto the E-2 since there wasn't a lot of external differences, or would this not work?

Can anyone provide a link or point to a source of info? I don't have the money for much in the way of books so I am trying to rely on legitimate online sources.

Thanks,

Shell

Well I have the same kit and all parts are there to build the kit as a D anyway, just download the instructions from jp.1999 website and go to town. The regular non tropical filters are there in the box as is the large D 'Boat Tail'. I'm not sure if they included the piece of wire (dinghy release cable hense the boat tail moniker) that connected from just aft of under the rear canopy to the dinghy in the tail cone but I didnt use their piece of wire anyway I used a thin piece of plasticard rod strip, something that was like 0.2mm diameter. That opens up more schemes for you. Externally apart from the tail cones and the trop filters I dont think theres much difference to look at, that came in the jump wit new engines from the E to the F/G series. Of course you can always get one of Pastor John conversions too. I have the G-2 set and its very nice indeed. 

I should probably add that I also have the D-3 kit, which I was going to do in a tradition splinter pattern. The E-2 I have now was going to be my African bird so I didn't want to be forced to do a second tan job. If I decided on an early nightfighter, based on some profiles I found online, how extensive would the changes be to the E-2 other than the paint? The profiles I found did not show the usual radar setup at the front of the plane, but they were just drawings and not photos so I don't 100% rust the accuracy.

The only reason this came up is because I can get the second E-2 for about $30 shipped.

I'm going back now into the mists of time to when I had the D/E combo nightfighter kit and boy do I regret parting with it now the only difference I recall was the D had the elongated boat tail and nose radar array and the the E had the regular tail cone fairing, there was possibly a difference in the tail wheel and of course no nose mounted radar but there was a part to be added to the nose for the E, an elongated part, possibly a gun camera or something like that but as I said in my earlier post, go to http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=102&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=Bf+110&spage=1&Scale=1%2f32 cross reference what's required from the instructions for the E version in the D/E boxing with your E Trop kit and you should be able to work out if you have the parts required to build the early E nightfighter from the E trop kit you have.

Speaking about getting an E-2 at ridiculous prices...

Sale alert!!!

Dragon is having a BOGO sale this weekend. Buy from a select list of AFV models and get another model from a discount list for $19.99. And one of the models on the discount list is the Cyberhobby 1/32 Bf110E-2 Trop!!! I ordered 3 AFV's and the 110 for $125 with free shipping. Hell, that's not a bad price for the 3 AFV's, so it is like getting the 110 for free! 

http://www.dragonusaonline.com/

I'm going back now into the mists of time to when I had the D/E combo nightfighter kit and boy do I regret parting with it now the only difference I recall was the D had the elongated boat tail and nose radar array and the the E had the regular tail cone fairing, there was possibly a difference in the tail wheel and of course no nose mounted radar but there was a part to be added to the nose for the E, an elongated part, possibly a gun camera or something like that but as I said in my earlier post, go to http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=102&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=Bf+110&spage=1&Scale=1%2f32 cross reference what's required from the instructions for the E version in the D/E boxing with your E Trop kit and you should be able to work out if you have the parts required to build the early E nightfighter from the E trop kit you have.

Other than no radar sprue and a few tiny bits difference in the E-2 kit, the sprues are identical so other than coming up with appropriate markings it looks like I can get away with an nightfighter.

Thanks to all who responded.

there was possibly a difference in the tail wheel and of course no nose mounted radar but there was a part to be added to the nose for the E, an elongated part, possibly a gun camera or something like that

The E had the larger tailwheel and main wheels. The small square scoop on the nose was a vent

that ran out one wing past the engine compartment and back to the cockpit for heat. There was

another vent on the starboard side for the rear crew area. You'll also want the long pitot .

This from a Vasco book on the C,D,E.