Sikorsky S-39 "Spirit of Africa" - Scratchbuilt

Hubert Boillot

Thank you all for your interest.

@ Lee : I have designed the frames with a tolerance for a tight fit, but I'd rather avoid sanding flat sheets. I keep lokking through my stock to find the best piece of card.

In the meantime, I want to stick to my plan of cutting frames on masking tape, but for the time being it is rather my plan that is sticking on the Silhouette. All my attempts to cut new frames have failed: the paper is sticking to the blade, the blade tears it off, then the paper lifts and clogs the Silhouette :(. Changing the blades does not yield any better result.

I think the issue comes from the machine's cutting mat that is too worn out. I need to order one new cutting mat ... and new Tamiya masking sheets :).

So the project is on hold for the time being whilst resupply comes in. I'll focus on my Jurassic Gee Bees in the Jurassic GB ;) in the meantime.

Hubert

• 1 month later...

Bonjour Hubert,

once again, we are on the same subjects !!!! :hi:

I made a build of a 1/72 scale resin kit from CMK  a few years ago, you may find it here (in french):

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=37866

https://www.legang.fr/maquettes/S39%20VBD/sikorsky%20S39%20VBD.html

I wish good luck to make this scratch !! The  geometry of the plane may be a challenge to reproduce !

Denis

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Denis,

Yes I saw your build as well. Pity you do 1/72 ;) ... (Just joking, my eyesight does not authorise me this scale )

Well this one will be recycled in the "Keep it Civil" GB. Mods, when it will be the time, can you move the thread over there ? Thank you in advance.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Your S-39 project is great! I have wanted to do this, since my father introduced me to the Filmmakers Martin and Osa Johnson many years ago.

I hope you will be able to finish this build, within the 'Keep it Civil' Group Build  :popcorn:

(tsk tsk - now I will have to build the S-38...)

Regards: Kent

That's not a kit! Blob of plastic doesn't make it a "kit". Definitely a glutton for punishment. Good luck and I'll be watching!

Not every modeler needs an injection molded polystyrene plastic kit where every part is perfectly cast so all one has to do is separate the parts from the sprues, prepaint some of the parts, glue the parts together and Lo and Behold, a really good model of an airplane. That is assuming you can avoiding gouging the parts as you separate them from the sprues and avoid leaving your fingerprints in the plastic because you were sloppy applying the liquid glue.

To me the real modeler is the tool and die maker who made the dies from which the parts were cast. Not the guy who glues the parts together.

A vacuform kit is the closest thing I know to a scratch built model which requires real talent and skill.

Yes, assembling a box of pre-made parts is a satisfying and enjoyable hobby. We all enjoy it. I certainly do.

But if you cannot build from scratch or transform a vacuform kit into a great model, like guys such as the late Larry Hawkins used to do, please do not knock the vac kits simply because you cannot handle them. 

Stephen

A vacuform kit is the closest thing I know to a scratch built model which requires real talent and skill.

Yes, assembling a box of pre-made parts is a satisfying and enjoyable hobby. We all enjoy it. I certainly do.

But if you cannot build from scratch or transform a vacuform kit into a great model, like guys such as the late Larry Hawkins used to do, please do not knock the vac kits simply because you cannot handle them. 

Stephen

I think you've completely mis-interpreted Shaka's post and meaning here Stephen, he most certainly isn't knocking building vacuform kits.....rather it's a bit of light banter which has a "history" ranging over several builds on GBs.

Max

Edited by mozart

I think you've completely mis-interpreted Shaka's post and meaning here Stephen, he most certainly isn't knocking building vacuform kits.....rather it's a but of light banter which has a "history" ranging over several builds on GBs.

Max

Yes Max, I seem to have slightly over reacted just a bit, perhaps, maybe. 

It is just that I have read too many posts knocking vacuform kits written by people who cannot build one themselves. They evince the sour grapes attitude that if they cannot build it it is no damn good to begin with.

Stephen

Guest Peterpools

Stephen

I am first to admit I have never built a vacuform kit, as I don't have the skills and abilities to do so. I guess I fall into the slap 'em together category and since I don't possess the skills of a tool and die maker, I fall well below your abilities. For someone who does a lot of talking, I've yet to see any work or quality builds from you over the many years I've been a member.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Wow, just stumbled into this one. You've really set yourself a challenge, but you're going about it in a very methodical way. I think I'm going to learn a lot by following your build.

A beautiful choice of aircraft by the way!

Richard

Will work on it at a slow pace in the immediate future. Gotta finish my "Jurassic" Gee Bees first ;) ... and may also go for an iconic military aircraft in civilian guise here, just to prove to the "camo hard-liners" that it can be done :)

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

• 4 weeks later...