USS Arizona (1/200th Trumpeter Kit)

TimW

Taking a breather from aircraft, I decided to really plunge in and have a go at Trumpy's 1/200 Arizona.

This is an amazing kit. I'm building it with the supplemental brass PE set offered by Trumpeter.

I'm using an acrylic paint set (mostly) that has paints done to USN specs from the Lifecolor set. They work well, both in an airbrush or on a paintbrush. Deck is hand-painted, using a variety of tans.

Hopefully I'll get more pix up as things progress. The blue-gray is by now (in)famous Sea Blue 5S. Steel decks will still be done in 5D Ocean Grey.

AZ2.jpg

AZ1.jpg

AZ3.jpg

Tim W

Good start. That looks like it will be a fun build.

I would like to see Trumpeter (or whomever, actually) come out with more 1/200 ship models. The 1/350 I find somewhat limits detailing potential.

Good start. That looks like it will be a fun build.

I would like to see Trumpeter (or whomever, actually) come out with more 1/200 ship models. The 1/350 I find somewhat limits detailing potential.

While it seems quite nice kits can be built in 1/350, 1/200 was really inspiring to me. Nichimo does a 1/200th Yamato. The think is 4 feet long. It also costs about as much as the actual battleship... :)

Tim W.

Guest Peterpools

Tim

Terrific choice of subject matter and a nice diversion from out usual builds. How big is the Arizona kit,as it looks very impressive right from the start. Nice start on the deck and hull.

Have you started to air brush the Life Color acrylics yet? I've been sing Model Master Acrylics for a while now and acrylics air brush differently then enamels. They need higher air when shooting them with an air brush: 20 psi and like to be thinned at a 1:1 ratio.

Going to be a fun build to follow along on.

:speak_cool:

Peter

:popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Tim

Terrific choice of subject matter and a nice diversion from out usual builds. How big is the Arizona kit,as it looks very impressive right from the start. Nice start on the deck and hull.

Have you started to air brush the Life Color acrylics yet? I've been sing Model Master Acrylics for a while now and acrylics air brush differently then enamels. They need higher air when shooting them with an air brush: 20 psi and like to be thinned at a 1:1 ratio.

Peter

Peter--

It's 3 feet long. Very impressive. I think it's the biggest model I've built and that includes the old Revell CSS Alabama kit and the HMCS Snowberry corvette. The kit is very nicely done.

My added brass PE won't arrive until Friday (the day I head off for vacation), so I probably won't get a lot done for a couple of weeks. I'm really savoring this one! :clap2:

I also have Stillwell's illustrated history, so it's providing some nice background and inspiration.

Tim W.

Peter--

My added brass PE won't arrive until Friday (the day I head off for vacation), so I probably won't get a lot done for a couple of weeks. I'm really savoring this one! :clap2:

Tim W.

Oh, you have a lot of work to do before that PE shows up. There's about 100 little mini kits in that build with all the sub assemblies :speak_cool:

Oh, you have a lot of work to do before that PE shows up. There's about 100 little mini kits in that build with all the sub assemblies :speak_cool:

Tell me about it! Masking and painting the foc'sle has been time consuming, but I'm loving it. Working on the turrets, too.

Tim W

Tim

Peter

Re: the acrylics--I have used them with the airbrush, mainly on the hull. I found at first it took a bit of fiddling in adding the water (I didn't have the fancy thinner, but water seemed to work just fine). You are right it's a different feel, but it worked OK and I didn't have any major problems. The Lifecolor paints also brush on very easily.

More to come!

Tim W.

Arizona is an impressive kit, for sure. Though I doubt I'll undertake that one (I have so many projects planned right now and it seems that she would take a major effort), I hope that the sales are good and that Trumpeter is encouraged to produce more large scale warships. It seems that Revell's 1/144 Fletcher has been a success and that one I have in my stash.

My greatest hope, though I doubt it will ever happen, would be that other World War 2 icon, U.S.S. Enterprise, CV-6. But, even some of the less well known ships would be nice. There is a dearth of injection molded kits for U.S. cruisers for instance, and in that scale they wouldn't be unmanageably large. Not to hijack Tim's thread, but anybody else have any thoughts on a few good candidates for a 1/200 follow up to Arizona?

By the way, Tim, your work on her so far looks great. How is the fit between the upper and lower hulls? It seems that just about every Trumpeter kit I've done seems to have a fit problem there.

Bob

Guest Peterpools

Tim

Talk about BIG! Just remember us land lovers will have hard time with the nautical terms.

Glad the acrylics worked out nicely. LifeColor is one paint that thins well with distilled water. When I use Tamiya or Model Master acrylics, I always thin the Tamiya X-20 Thinner, which is nearly impossible to find these days in the states (as with Tamiya glues until the log task of re-labeling is done - if ever!)

Enjoy your vacation and rest up, there will be a huge ship waiting for you in dry dock! :coolio: :coolio:

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Arizona is an impressive kit, for sure. Though I doubt I'll undertake that one (I have so many projects planned right now and it seems that she would take a major effort), I hope that the sales are good and that Trumpeter is encouraged to produce more large scale warships. It seems that Revell's 1/144 Fletcher has been a success and that one I have in my stash.

My greatest hope, though I doubt it will ever happen, would be that other World War 2 icon, U.S.S. Enterprise, CV-6. But, even some of the less well known ships would be nice. There is a dearth of injection molded kits for U.S. cruisers for instance, and in that scale they wouldn't be unmanageably large. Not to hijack Tim's thread, but anybody else have any thoughts on a few good candidates for a 1/200 follow up to Arizona?

By the way, Tim, your work on her so far looks great. How is the fit between the upper and lower hulls? It seems that just about every Trumpeter kit I've done seems to have a fit problem there.

Bob

Bob--

As far as I can tell, the fit between the upper and lower hulls is excellent. I had heard about the problem, but have seen no evidence of it with my kit.

Next kit in 1/200th? Well, I'd love to see a King George V!!!! It wouldn't be *that* much bigger than the AZ--745 v. 608 feet? OK, it'd be a bigger kit but if Nichimo can do a 1/200th Yamato....I'm just sayin'.

Tim W.

Tim

Talk about BIG! Just remember us land lovers will have hard time with the nautical terms.

Glad the acrylics worked out nicely. LifeColor is one paint that thins well with distilled water. When I use Tamiya or Model Master acrylics, I always thin the Tamiya X-20 Thinner, which is nearly impossible to find these days in the states (as with Tamiya glues until the log task of re-labeling is done - if ever!)

Enjoy your vacation and rest up, there will be a huge ship waiting for you in dry dock! :coolio: :coolio:

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter--

I've had good luck with the acrylics--did the lower hull with Tamiya hull red--no problem getting the thinner, so everything worked out OK.

And I will most assuredly be getting back into this one when I return!

I even broke down and ordered the wooden decking from Nautilus Models...madness!!!! :frantic:

Tim W