Joe's "Backyard Paradise"-Updates-02/18

mustang1989

Ok folks. I've been rackin' my brain trying to figure out two of my problems with this build.icon_hmm_zps07rcoppf.gif First off , the floor was just too dang clean. I tried dirtying up the paper based flooring with ground up brown and black pastel rubbed into the flooring but it wasn't enough. As you all know, it would just rub off. Then my thoughts turned to some 1000 grit sandpaper. animierte-smilies-computer-020_zpsxmbudy . Now that............might just work. So I started on the first two rows of tile and lo and behold.........it was just what I wanted!!

You can see the difference between the first two rows and the rest of the flooring in the following photo:

BDPksD.jpg

So I sanded the whole floor and put some more "dirt and grime" on the walls:

jWiCIP.jpg

pbGmWb.jpg

This is also going to be an "inside" display with the only outside reference being seen through the window in the back of the shop so I had to put terminating ends on the sides and tops of the walls. I was at odds on how to accomplish that until this morning. I grabbed some black Evergreen styrene sheets that I had and started measuring, cutting and gluing.

Before:

0dhhDH.jpg

and after (I'll be installing a door to hide the doorway wall innards):

FQLRcY.jpg

EdmcKW.jpg

Joe,

That's a great improvement!  Changes the entire complexion of your garage. 

Do you regularly clear the cobwebs out of your garage?

Looking really good!

Gaz

LOL! Thanks Gaz. 

Well fellas I've spent a ton of time working on the base garage and have made some satisfactory progress. For starters I installed the door into the opening but it didn't look right without the door trim around the opening so I cut some Evergreen into strips, painted and cleared 'em, installed them and weathered them some without going overboard. I'll be doing this with the window opening as well. I also put together an old Chevy Truck advertisement into a picture frame by taping the photo onto the back of some clear Evergreen styrene and then masking and painting a frame onto the front of it. Getting back to the door I dirtied it up a bit and threw a couple of performance decals on it just to give the shop some character. Door handle and lock were painted with a Molotow Chrome pen and installed.

Lastly, I decided to throw something oddball in. In my office is a file cabinet with a fishing advertisement sticker on the side of it and I thought icon_hmm.GIF and decided I could throw it on the wall in between the shelves of my storage shelving that's going to go into that corner for a subtle addition to the shop.

Here's the sticker in my office:

3C1ZO0.jpg

Here's the shop after installing all of what I've talked about here this morning. Notice the sticker made into a decal on the wall as well.

Z5Kihv.jpg

pHEGRu.jpg

Thanks Gaz! More coming tomorrow......................

............or later. lol 

Got a little more done and thought I'd have some fun today. I have more signs but was careful not to overdo it. The sign over the door made me laugh my ass off. Actually.................BOTH did. Look closely.

In the foreground are the Evergreen strips for the window trim. Gotta make some diagonal cuts in the ends in which to butt them together, prime and paint 'em up and get 'em on the wall still.

25b22T.jpg

I finally got a professional tool box like you find in a real auto gas station garage. Heck even my daughter has one of those, It is in her living room. That's my daughter, a chip off the old block head.

But when we had the fire 2 years ago nothing much was moved out of the garage so I left it there. But it got packed in by all the other stuff shoved in there and I could not get to it. In the mean time I had all these other tools spread all over the house so when we moved to the temporary home I bought another metal box of drawers, but not as big as the garage original. 

Then when we moved back into my rebuilt house I got an even smaller box so I could keep a minimum of necessary tools in one place,  the main floor of the house. 

Now I have the really big box in the garage, the medium size box in the basement and now the smaller box in the first floor of my house. I have lots of tools. I like lots of tools. Tools is good.

:punk:

Thanks fellas for the good word. I just keep chipping away at this thing and sooner or later I'll get done with it.

ssculptor: I've got a couple of boxes. One was for my dealership ( which is now in my garage) and the other is the "house" tool box. You can guess which one I don't want anybody's clubs in around the house. ;)

Well gang...............I started thinking about how I could go about the outside of the walls but didn't just want to put something directly over the walls because the window and door wouldn't be spaced in any plus it'd be really hard to cover what is already there without damaging the walls that I already have in place. So I came up with an idea.

I cut out a piece of plexiglass the dimensions of the walls and cut out the window area for the back wall and will cut out the door area for the side wall so that both items are spaced in from the outside of the walls.

Wall trimming in progress:

F7TkCK.jpg

and the outside of the wall now covered in a textured brick pattern covering from Dollhouse Miniatures. I've still got a little clean up to do but you get the picture. wink.png

ZeIz7W.jpg