Tamiya Mosquito and Spitfire

shan

• 3 months later...

Finally got the wings and engines on. Bungled up a little on the Mosquito's nose, the guns seem to be off centered. got to end up with some minor surgery/ correction. Cant wait to get to the painting, but still got lots of little bits to go.

OVERALL_zpsggqkrrto.jpg

OVERALL_zpsxzodvvqk.jpg

Belly guns from Eduard

BELLY%20GUNS2_zpsmmieznsd.jpg

BELLY%20GUNS_zpsls4mkqdk.jpg

close up on the engines

ENGINE%20CLOSEUP_zpsexxaq0ww.jpg

ENGINE%20CLOSEUP3_zpsby8l6oyp.jpg

UNDERSIDE_zpsd2acimyb.jpg

Surgery underway to correct the nose

UNDERSIDE3_zpsr4htaati.jpg

Shan, this is looking really good......what was wrong with the Mossie guns? They look ok to my old eyes.... I love the engine details... I have kept a couple of your pics for my reference, so I don't mess mine up....your Spit and Mossie look great, I'm watching with much interest...

cheers buddy

Jeff

Guest Peterpools

Shan

Terrific progress on your Spit and Mossie and some mighty nice attention to detail

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Shan, this is looking really good......what was wrong with the Mossie guns? They look ok to my old eyes.... I love the engine details... I have kept a couple of your pics for my reference, so I don't mess mine up....your Spit and Mossie look great, I'm watching with much interest...

cheers buddy

Jeff

Jeff, i think mine was off centered and the nose did not fit correctly with the fuselage, so ended up re shaping the fuselage, had lots of sanding and re scribing to do

nose-1_zpsx15xqp0f.jpg

nose-2_zpsivzmniu4.jpg

There's nothing wrong with Eduard's nose guns. Unfortunately Shan, you mixed up the blast tubes for the guns. The shorter ones are supposed to be on the outside positions and the long ones in the middle. In other words they should have been staggered and without them being that way it would have made the nose cone impossible to fit. Sorry I missed your earlier posts or I would have alerted you to the potential problem.

One other thing you may want to consider. The flexible heating pipes for the ventral cannons in the Eduard set are far too small in diameter according to the photos I have. Modify the Tamiya parts as they're far more accurate in size.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

There's nothing wrong with Eduard's nose guns. Unfortunately Shan, you mixed up the blast tubes for the guns. The shorter ones are supposed to be on the outside positions and the long ones in the middle. In other words they should have been staggered and without them being that way it would have made the nose cone impossible to fit. Sorry I missed your earlier posts or I would have alerted you to the potential problem.

One other thing you may want to consider. The flexible heating pipes for the ventral cannons in the Eduard set are far too small in diameter according to the photos I have. Modify the Tamiya parts as they're far more accurate in size.

Cheers,

Wolf

Like i said, earlier, i must have bungled up something.thanks for the advice Wolf. yikes just too late to modify the guns.Darn!!

moving onward, i thought of experimenting on glass coating. so its the all loved and trusted Klear, vs, Gauzy -

glass%20coat%20agents_zpsctyiasrt.jpg

The Gauzy glass coat proved to be much more difficult to work with compared to Klear. its not as fluid as Klear and its milky in colour.. the technique is the same - ie: Drip Dry, but Klear glids across the clear plastic and Gauzy is more like condensed milk coating the clear parts.

The Gauzy coat had some clouding affects as the viscosity of coating starts to pool at the edges

I used Gauzy on the spitfire canopy and Klear on the Mosquito's canopy. my first run with Gauzy was a disaster. so i decided to give it a Windex bath and striped out the coating and tried again and this was the result

gauzy-clouding_zps1kk6gfji.jpg

now to compare the Klear vs Gauzy

first up - Gauzy coating

spit%20cockpit2_zpsxlbnctfa.jpg

spit%20cockpit_zpsizhjcgev.jpg

i find there is a slight clouding- hopefully it will improve after drying for 1 day, if not, its another Windex bath time again

Next up is the Klear coating

mosq-cockpit_zps2mknhgqm.jpg

the mosquito cockpit framing - without the canopy

mosq-cockpit4_zpswcb5qod8.jpg

mosq-cockpit5_zpssxsd71lj.jpg

after working with the 2 glass coating agents, i still feel that Klear is the better choice as its easier to work with and i think the transparency is slightly better than Gauzy? Any thoughts or experiences with your builds anyone? please share. thanks

Shan, to my 4 eyes, the Kleer looks better, I have used it a few times and have had good results...... too bad about the front guns.... looks like you have a viable solution...I might try a slightly different approach to mine if I ever get there, I'm thinking of installing one gun , and while it sets, slip on the nose cone and tape it, when set pull the nose cone off, and set the second, replace nose cone, until all4 are placed, I'm thinking as time consuming ( I'm retired so what is time) that may just assist me in straight alignment.... what do you think?  I was just pondering this idea , for my future consideration...... may work?

Shan, both builds are looking stunning.......since returning to the hobby, I keep reading about Klear dipping etc, actually bought some but never been brave enough to use it, can it go wrong?..........

Carl, if you're gonna give Klear a try, please also get yourself a bottle of WINDEX window cleare with AMONIA content. its perfect for stripping of coating on clear parts. some have suggested to have a mixture of windex and Klear. i have tried that - a 50/50 mix, but found that the Klear rinses off quickly, so for now i am using 100% clear without Windex. you've got to drip dry, i normally hang it up and have a paper towel touching the base to absorb the excess . The effects are really good, it makes the transparent parts really look transparent. you should give it a go. I have no regrets

Shan, to my 4 eyes, the Kleer looks better, I have used it a few times and have had good results...... too bad about the front guns.... looks like you have a viable solution...I might try a slightly different approach to mine if I ever get there, I'm thinking of installing one gun , and while it sets, slip on the nose cone and tape it, when set pull the nose cone off, and set the second, replace nose cone, until all4 are placed, I'm thinking as time consuming ( I'm retired so what is time) that may just assist me in straight alignment.... what do you think?  I was just pondering this idea , for my future consideration...... may work?

Jeff, thats the right way to go for sure. what i found on mine is that , when i was attaching the cockpit with the 2 fuselages, i think the cockpit is not sitting dead center. even my nose cone did not line up with the fuselage edges. i definitely bungled up something. thats the reason why i had to reshape the entire front edge of the fuselage, where it meets the nose cone. taping the nose cone to line up the guns would definitely be the right way to go. dont know about setting the guns one by one, but i guess, you could use glue that doesnt set quickly , so all 4 guns can be set together with some tolerance to realign while the glue sets? hope you wont have any  of these issues when you build yours.

How are your restoration works getting on? would love to see some pics on your progress

• 1 month later...

Finally some paint!!

started out by preshading the spit and the mossie

spit-preshade-3_zpsedzzmexa.jpg

i recently bought the hasegawa 1/32 scale Fw 190d, with the engines from Aires, so i've decided to practice a bit of mottling on the spitfire preshading

spit-preshade-1_zpssd3r2ffy.jpg

spit-preshade-2_zpsvdpasxma.jpg

tried to mimic some wood affects on the mossie

mos-preshade-1_zpsxm4dsd5a.jpg

mos-preshade-3_zps9wmbnuiw.jpg

mos-preshade-2_zpsn7kjnebs.jpg

Finally some prep work- i am not confident on my free hand camo skills, so decided to try the white tack method

sprayed on the Ocean gray and prepped for the camo-

camo%20prep_zps3mn2jfhi.jpg

camo%20prep2_zpswig90ppj.jpg

finally sprayed on the dark green

spit%20camo-3_zpsuplrfagz.jpg

spit%20camo-1_zps0l8gho1e.jpg

happy with it for now, next up to give it a go with the mossie.

• 2 weeks later...

busted my arm while ice skating with my little princess, so progress has been real slow, 2more weeks till the cast comes off

ARM_zpsxdj4qhhh.jpeg

so , a little progress on the spitfire

got the guns and tail band painted

spit%20camo-4_zpsstuytqgr.jpg

spit%20camo-5_zpscxox90gq.jpg

and finally got the mosquito ready for some camo

MASK_zpsolhmz66x.jpg