Revell 1/32 Bf109G-10 Erla

Thunnus

John, for your glue options, try JB Weld Kwik. I've used the non-quick stuff, and it sets like concrete, but takes about 6 hours. The Kwik, which I haven't used, but allegedly has the same properties, sets in 4-6 minutes, curing properly in 4-6 hours (IIRC). I'll be purchasing some myself in the next day or so.

Kev

Kev,

From John's excellent tutorial, I see one of the tubes is marked "steel", the other obviously hardener. Does that mean it comes in various colours? Also availability here in the Great Southern Land? The church of the Big Red Hammer perhaps?

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Kev,

From John's excellent tutorial, I see one of the tubes is marked "steel", the other obviously hardener. Does that mean it comes in various colours? Also availability here in the Great Southern Land? The church of the Big Red Hammer perhaps?

Regards,

Steel doesn't refer to the colour, but the actual content - it's apparently a steel-impregnated paste that, when mixed with the hardener, basically gives you a viscous liquid steel. The original JB Weld was developed to fix cracked engine blocks, I believe, but takes about 6 hours to go off. The version John has used is meant to have most of the same properties, but goes off in 4-6 minutes.

As for availability down under, here's where I ordered mine from:

http://jbweldit.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

It's harder and stronger than any other adhesive I've ever come across. And amazingly, even it won't stick to polythene!

Kev

JB weld is great stuff!  Once I bought an aluminum canoe from a livery.  It had damage where the bulkhead rivets had made holes on the skin of the boat from years of wear.  I just made large blobs over the holes, and gave it time to dry.  I fished with it like that for years.

Gaz

Thanks for checking guys!  Hey, the spinner HAS to look boss on a 109 build, right? :shrug:

The JB Kwik Weld is an interesting glue.  On my test bed, I did some shaving and sanding of the excess stuff and it behaved very nicely under the blade and sandpaper, at least within the few hours of application that I had played with it.  Surface was very hard but the dried glue had some flex to it.  It seems to be a very strong adhesive and possibly a good filler material for certain situations.

The patch work on the cowling/fuselage joint continues.  I used Milliput White for this as it is easy to sculpt with water.  Very helpful for curvy situations like this as I can get into the general shape ballpark very quickly using Milliput and a dampened piece of paper towel.

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

An application of Mr Surfacer 1000 to fill in the little imperfections of the Milliput sculpt and some sanding brings me one step closer.  This is going to take a few iterations to get right.

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

Trying on the spinner!

IMG_1526.jpg

The drop tank has been given a flat coat.  I still need to perform some weathering on it.  Anybody got any good pictures of the heavy stains that the 109 drop tanks often exhibited?  The little pipe at the front of the tank got pushed in during the painting process and will need to be replaced.

IMG_1530.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Transitioning the AMUR Reaver cowling into the rest of the fuselage is turning out to be much easier than I had feared.  Maybe all of that worry and prep work paid off.  Or maybe I got lucky.  Whichever... I'm grateful!

After one round of Milliput + Mr Surfacer 1000, the more significant port side overhang looks pretty much in hand after a primer check.

IMG_1531.jpg

Same with the starboard side.  Just some minor touch-up with putty and some refining of the panel lines should finish the upper transition.  I still have to deal with the bottom of the wing root to cowling connection.

IMG_1532.jpg

When the putty is drying, I keep occupied by doing other little things like fashioning a tension spring for the aerial and mounting it on the mast.

IMG_1534.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Yes, the Reaver cowling adds a definite bulge that better implies the underlying powerplant upgrade than the Revell molding, I think.  I'm putting the finishing touches on the transition by putting back some of the panel lines.

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

Checking the look of the canopy pieces in place after the engine cowling has been mounted.

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

Edited by Thunnus