Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat

ruzlkampf

Hello All, Got this here Bearcat that's been singing it's Sirene song to me since I got it. Now as much as I like modifying stuff to suit my whims,...I'm going to show some restraint and build this OOB. :rolleyes: See, I got the decals and everything! Whistle, whistle... :lol: I shoulda started on this sooner, but meh...I can build it in 3 days, eh? More pics as things progress, Russ

post-4413-1229158767.jpg

Well, darn it...I didn't get this completed in time. :P Guess I'll have to figure out what to do with it now that it's not OOB. I know, how about another Reno air racer! :) I envision something with a bigger motor,(of course) so I'll have to do some mods.....oooooh. :ph34r: Guess I'll have to put cut down P-3 Orion prop blades on it to go with that new motor too? Took some pictures of Rare Bear at the Phoenix air races when they had them there, so it'll look something like this.

post-4413-1229519436.jpg

Can't hang with the canopy on this bird, so it'll be a cross between 'Conquest 1', and 'Rare Bear'. It'll be 'the Bear' from the firewall forward...R-3350 and prop, and 'Conquest 1' back from there...closed off oil cooler scoops, tail fairing, Cosmic Wind canopy, ect. Yeah, that's the ticket. Here's some profiles from the 'Bearcats & Corsairs-Round Engined Racers' book by Warplane Tech. OOP, and hard for me to get...whew.

post-4413-1229519791.jpg

post-4413-1229519803.jpg

Yeah, it was cool listening to the difference in the way this sounded, in comparison to the Mustangs. The Mustangs had that Geeeorgeous high speed wail, and this went by with a bass-like whup, whup, whup. Like a helicopter 'whopping' noise on very fast-forward speed. Very impressive. But I digress;

Bearcat won the coin-toss for starting first, soo....here goes! :D Here's a pic of the fuse pieces I'm going to be using. Everything else pretty much goes in the parts bin.

post-4413-1229602318.jpg

Here's a shot of the R-3350 installation with the cowling off. It was running a Skyraider 4-blade prop at this time. I have much more detailed pics I'll be posting later,...maybe, of the engine actually being installed if anybody is interested. Gives me all the firewall mods I need to do to get all them exhaust pipes out the side. Most of the hydraulics were taken out of the AC to lighten it(and stuff like the flaps are sealed shut for streamlining, so are inoperable anyway! :D Yeah these things land 3-point and HOT!) 'Conquest 1' even had the gear retraction a 'one-shot' pressurized nitrogen setup so they could eliminate even those hydraulics!

post-4413-1229602571.jpg

Pic of the wings stuck on, and where I'll be cutting the wings 'n such. 'Conquest 1' had the oil cooler scoops in the wing sealed off, and was running a radiator bath type arrangement for the coolers internally. I'm going to be running the turbo-superchargers in the R-3350, so maybe I need an air inlet to cool them? Bwhahahah. I'm really trying to engineer this to be 'believeable' as a real racer....I'm just not constrained by budget or technology like the real ones in their hey-day.

post-4413-1229603022.jpg

Darn, these are just a hair over 50kb, so I can't show 2 at once...but these show 'Rare-Bear' in different paint schemes thru th years. Also show the cooling scoop mods and wingtips. Mine will be different, and more modern.

post-4413-1229603428.jpg

Same plane, different time frame. I've got my girlfriend helping me out with a paint scheme. She's going thru all the cool 'candy' colors , metalflakes, and bizarre stuff they have for finger-nail polish. They're basically lacquers, and that's what I'll be painting this bird with. I'm thinking a 'flame' job will be cool. Trying to make up some bizarre sponsors names and such to put on it too. Anything is possible.

post-4413-1229604061.jpg