AFV Club ROCAF F-16B Block 20

BloorwestSiR

Here are some pics of where I am at the moment on this build. 

I received the Eduard PE set for the cockpit from Hannants and noticed that the side panels are not a single panel but are broken down into many separate panels joined together. As a result, I decided to cut them apart carefully with my Xacto and attach select panels onto the finished side consoles. 

014-3.jpg

013-3.jpg

I also completed the intake trunking and made it into one assembly.

019-3.jpg

Nice work on the B , I'm working of its big brother , a an F-16i into a D Block 50 , looking at your work, I'm back at my work bench last night , struggling to get my intake to fit!

keep up the excellent work , its looking very impressive!

Nice work on the B , I'm working of its big brother , a an F-16i into a D Block 50 , looking at your work, I'm back at my work bench last night , struggling to get my intake to fit!

keep up the excellent work , its looking very impressive!

Thanks! Except for the cockpit painting issues, this has been going a bit easier that the Spitfire build. The only real problem is having the parts in two different homes. I started the kit at my folks' place but in moving it, I accidentally let bits behind. I don't remember what they are until I need them. So far it's been three trips back and forth but I think i have everything now.

Carl

So, more progress on this build.

I installed the intake and MLG bay and ran into my first snag. Because I had glued the intake sections together, it wouldn't go in even after cutting off the mounting pegs on the underside of the gear bay. Unfortunately, I managed to break the intake along the join which allowed me to install everything correctly but left me with the seam i was trying to avoid.

011-4.jpg

At least the outside is gap free...

010-6.jpg

I also attached the upper wing halves to the upper fuselage section as suggested on here. 

009-3.jpg

The instructions don't mention attaching the rear canopy fairing or bulkhead but i figure they're kind of needed.

Now off to fill ejector pin holes in the landing gear and finish the cockpit so I can close the fuselage up.

Carl

Excellent work, Carl!! When i did my Sufa i did the same with the intake/fuselage /main gear bay. Problem i had was the main gear bay was a little " off ", this affected the main gear and consequently my build sits with a slant. I was very unhappy.

IMG_1889.jpg

I'm sure you know about not gluing the trailing edge of the wings together or the flap will not fit right?

Don

Excellent work, Carl!! When i did my Sufa i did the same with the intake/fuselage /main gear bay. Problem i had was the main gear bay was a little " off ", this affected the main gear and consequently my build sits with a slant. I was very unhappy.

IMG_1889.jpg

I'm sure you know about not gluing the trailing edge of the wings together or the flap will not fit right?

Don

Hi Don, thanks for checking in. I just checked my gear bay and I think I got it in level. Too bad Academy didn't put some locator pins on it so you know you have in straight and true.

I didn't know about the flaps so thanks for the tip.

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Well, progress on the build has been happening.

019-4.jpg

I may just be able to finish this on before the closing date.

Here's a close up of the resin AFV Club tail.

020-6.jpg 

It's a decent fit and doesn't require any changes to the kit at all. I know that some of the panels along the spine may be different but I am going to leave it as is. My father won't notice and I don't have the references handy to correct it.

I was expecting to need some filler along the LEX but after a quick sanding, it was fine:

021-4.jpg

And now back to work.

Carl

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...