Spirit of St Louis FINISHED!

ericg

Thanks guys.

The small wind wheel was the last part to be fitted and slightly too much force pushing it down broke the white metal part. I have had my eye on this part for while as it was something that was on the wish list to replace, being the same overscale/overthick consistency as the other white metal parts. I guess project fatigue had kicked in and I had resigned myself to not worrying about it. breaking the part gave me the necessary kick in the pants to replace it with a much finer scratchbuilt part.

First up, the wheel consists of 4 very small cups attached to arms on a central mount. I drilled a small cup shape into some metal that I felt matched the profile that I was looking for.

IMG_6428_zpsux1xuzx2.jpg

I then plunge moulded some heated sprue into the hole.

IMG_6429_zpsykt5umso.jpg

This gave me a reliable and consistent way of producing 4 cups.

IMG_6430_zps7pfb2tgy.jpg

I then attached them to the central arms made from fine brass wire. Compared to the original part the new one is much finer.

IMG_6431_zpsqlmr8u1x.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Simply outstanding work and your attention to detail is unequaled.

Beautiful work

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Peter

Eric,

an amazing build that broke new ground with the metal cowling. Your attention to even the smallest of details has certainly paid off with a true one of a kind model that I'm sure will walk away with it's class 1st place award, as well as best in Show. 

Joel