The Vintage Aviator/WNW New Kit Connection?

ringleheim

Hopefully we will get a surprise new WNW release in December.

This raises the question: "What might it be?"

In trying to answer, I have studied all of the projects of 1:1 aircraft built by The Vintage Aviator as referenced at their website. 

Of the twelve projects listed, all but three have already been built as kits by WNW!  

The redundancy makes sense as the companies are both owned by Peter Jackson and the research in one area supports research in the other.  I have often noticed in terms of research/info/reference photos how much our WNW kits are supported by work stemming from Vintage Aviator. 

The three full size aircraft that have yet to become WNW kits are:

1) Fokker DVIII

2) BE.2

3) Nieuport 11 Bebe

Anyone think one of those three specifically could become a WNW new release some time soon?

Which would you want to see kitted the most, if they were only going to make 1?

Of those 3, I think I would vote for the DVIII Fokker.

I think the Nieuport 11 would be very popular among modelers however.

The BE.2 seems too similar to other British aircraft we have already received from WNW to really get me excited. 

Oh god guys please don't start yet another “I wish they'd make X†thread, it seems like one of these starts (or develops) every week...

Did you bother to read my original post? I realize it's not super short.

There was a method to the madness.

If the topic doesn't interest you, why participate in the conversation?

I did,  and then started twitching at responses... but I'm going to apologize for my "slight" overreaction. it's been a pretty difficult week and the hamster running on the wheel in my head has run so fast that it's burst into flames. Not that that's any excuse for my snapping.

I think it's a safe assumption that there'sy sharing of research between TVAL and WNW but the two seem to be completely separate in terms of priorities. The colors of WNW's lozenge compared to the much more authentic colors of the TVAL lozenge still astounds me.

WNW has said time and time again that their focus is not aircraft that have been kitted before - the Avis/Mikro Mir D.VIII kit is not a terrible kit and is readily available, and the Ni11/16 can still be found from eastern European manufacturers that aren't much worse than Roden kits. If I had to guess, I'd not expect any focus to go on either subject anytime soon.

Speaking of the BE2 though, we ran a most-wanted kit poll on the facebook Wingnut Wings Fans group in September/October. Two rounds, both ran for a week. Round one was everyone listing their most wanted aircraft, round two was the top five most wanted put into a poll which was then shared with Richard @ Wingnut.  The top 5 were SPAD 13, Nieuport 17, Sopwith Dolphin, Avro 504, and the Be.2. SPAD 13 took well over 40% of the vote, BE2 was in a pretty distant second place.  Richard's response was shared on the group also - it was very kindly worded but it read to me as "thanks, great, we're still going to do whatever we want to do." And you know what? That's ok with me, because I'm going to buy one or two of each kit they release regardless of subject! :)

As Mike said a couple of posts above, the WNW Fans page had a poll, Avro 504 was in the top 5 - it's what I voted for.  The aircraft chosen by Smith-Barrie, "the man who taught the World's Air Forces how to fly".  Can there be any aircraft more historically significant?  </Hobby Horse dismount>

Of the three mentioned, the BE.2 would be the most likely given WNW's previous reluctance to build anything someone else has already kitted. There's already a couple of readily-available Nieuport 11's out there, and the D.VIII has also not long seen light of day. The real 'big' missing item in 1/32 is the Nieuport 17, apart from the ancient Academy/Revell kit. I'd be surprised if WNW didn't look at that in future.

It could be anything, though. I'd love a Hanriot HD.1, Sopwith Dolphin, Airco DH.5...

The DH-4 would be a seeming natural. The spad, Dr-1, and neuiports are all available, and good kits, very buildable. The DVIII is available again, and a good kit, and there is plenty of A/M to spiff it up.

A lot of us would like to see a lot of kits up to WNW standards, but they will do their WWI stuff. I'm content to leave the WWII speculation to Tamiya, Hase, HK, and others.