Hasegawa P-51D

ruzlkampf

This probably qualifies as 'Phase 4' mod. heh heh. :P Got the Griffin, wings off a Lear Jet, cut down canopy, custom built landing gear, and eventually had the radiator scopp removed and a carbon fiber NACA duct put in it's place. This is the 'Miss Ashley II'. Now we're getting to the heinous mutilation I'm looking for! :ph34r: My build is going beyond this,,..to 'phase 5'. Hope ya'll didn't mind this little sojourn to Reno, but I think a back-ground into what I'm going to be doing would be entertaining? Mustang rivet-counters and purists might want to look away.

More pics as things progress; :) Russ

post-4413-1229515437.jpg

Hey dude,

this sound pretty like a mad machine indeed!! Any idea what speed the real deal is capable of?

An other great project of yours that I will follow closely (if I manage to be fast enough :P :P ).

Loic

Whooo, Allok knows his racing machnes! :D Alright! Yup, Dago Red took the piston engined record away from the Griffon powered Mustang 'Red Baron.( at 499 mph) I did a coin-toss tonight to see which of my racers I was going to start on first, and the Bearcat won. :( BUT!, 'Rare Bear', (the aircraft I'm basing my build on) took the record away from 'Dago Red'...and it now stands at 528.329 sumthin m.p.h. Also something about holds the piston engined time-to-climb record of something around 30,000ft in a little under 4 minutes? Whoa.

I'll be working on this 'Stang as the Bearcat progresses. Funny you should mention F2G's. ;) I'm working on that. heh heh. I'm going to be building a lot of 'things that go fast' this year. I'll post some pics of this build with all the plans I've got laid out really soon. Trying to get the design 'frozen' so I won't have to do any re-work.(there's a LOT of mods)

Speaking of going FAST. I took one of my 1/1 scale model cars out to the desert today. (rainy on the coast where I live, snow in the mountains, cool 'n clear out in the desert on the other side) I built this car last year on a "design whim". I wanted to put an aluminum Chevy 350 C.I. crate motor V-8 in a mid-engined configuration for handling, in the smallest package aerodynamically possible, with the bigest brakes I could stuff into it. (I don't just put bigger motors into, and modify plastic model airplanes. ;) )

16" rims, with Porsche 911 front suspension(it bolted right on) and brakes, 944 Porshe rear calipers, 4-speed trans-axle outta a Turbo 930(4-speed matches the HP and torque of the V-8 perfectly instead of the 5-speed), Momo seats/steering wheel/5-point harness, aluminum radiator in the front trunk, blah blah. It's quite the little go-cart. Only weighs a little over 2000 pounds, with 300hp, gets 28+ mpg, and I don't have to smog it. Exhaust system is not even 3ft long. heh heh.

My daily driver is a perfectly restored 1961 40hp, 6 volt VW beetle, and I envy no man when I'm driving it....but this is my 'get out of town and cruise' vehicle. It's fun! :D This was this morning outside Gila Bend, Arizona as I was getting it filled up for the ride back to SD.

post-4413-1229607014.jpg

Here's a roadside stop in the middle of nowhere, while I was waiting for the hair on the back of my neck to go down after a blast down a deserted desert road. ;) Good thing I have Z+-rated tires and stainless steel valve stems. Aaaaah, good to 'blow the tubes' every once in awhile and be an irresposible kid again. Back to San Diego and the Vdub again, and I feel much better. :D Just thought some of you 'car guys' would be interested in this contraption while I was on the subject of 'fast & racing'. More pics of the Mustang project soon. Russ

post-4413-1229607564.jpg

And just when, pray tell, do you... sleep? :D

Especially as this the perfect car to lift girls ... ;) :( :lol:

In French, it would be called "un aspirateur à minettes" (literal translation : " a chicks' vacuum-cleaner")

I bet you have a lot of fun with this one Russ ;) !

Hubert.

Hi Russ,

That's an awesome looking VoPo...or should i say CheVoPo. ;)

Amazing how you got the much larger new driveline in without destroying the sleek lines.

I can imagine it goes like a rocket. Now i understand why you have a humble 40 hp beetle as a daily driver.

btw, looking forward to your race mods on the Mustang and the Bearcat.

I think making the decals will be an interesting challenge :blink:

Cheers,

Peter