Tamiya Enamels... They dry wayyyy too fast.

Gazzas

Hi Everyone,

To make a long story short, if I'm painting a 3cm X 6cm part with a 10mm brush, the paint is drying at one end and getting too tacky to touch before I've reached the other end.  I end up with brush strokes on anything I dare touch up.  Surely this is way to fast.

I seem to remember hardly ever getting brush strokes in Testors enamels when I was a kid, and then I only had a narrow brush to cover such areas.

Am I crazy, is my memory flawed, or is there a better enaml out there?

Thanks,

Gaz

Tamiya enamels are the quickest drying of the bunch (that's one of the many reasons why I like them!). So, if you're painting a large piece, don't brush back where you started! IMNSHO, the best brushing enamel is Humbrol's old formulae. The new formulae ain't too bad, but the older one is definitely better. 

IMHO Tamiya paints are only good for brushing. To me they're the worst of the bunch for spraying and there are many many other better options for spraying, but I too occasionally use them for brush painting. The only way I've ever gotten them to work well for spraying is with acrylic retarder, so I'm assuming retarder would work just as well for brush painting.

IMHO Tamiya paints are only good for brushing. To me they're the worst of the bunch for spraying and there are many many other better options for spraying, but I too occasionally use them for brush painting. The only way I've ever gotten them to work well for spraying is with acrylic retarder, so I'm assuming retarder would work just as well for brush painting.

They spray fine with a little turpentine.

They are nice for control knobs and stuff since they dry so fast. But for larger surfaces, not for brushing without retarder.