Tornado F3

ericg

That looks like an incredibly well thought-out and engineered conversion set, Eric. I vaguely recall a 'cottage industry' conversion set from the UK, w-a-a-y back, perhaps this is it. Going to be another 'challenge' when it comes time to paint, as from memory the fighter 'Tonka's' were pretty anonymous, just a single or two-letter code on the tail to distinguish/identify them.

Ian.

Thanks for the comments guys. As Wunwinglow has mentioned, I am working on his prototype parts which from all indications are shaping up to be excellent.

That looks like an incredibly well thought-out and engineered conversion set, Eric. I vaguely recall a 'cottage industry' conversion set from the UK, w-a-a-y back, perhaps this is it. Going to be another 'challenge' when it comes time to paint, as from memory the fighter 'Tonka's' were pretty anonymous, just a single or two-letter code on the tail to distinguish/identify them.

Ian.

Thanks IJ001. This is a new set that has not been released yet. I actually prefer to seek out the boring line jets rather than special schemes or markings. as far as I know all unit markings wipers removed from Gulf war jets.

Eric.

The original project thread is here, although like so many threads, it has been emasculated by the combined efforts of facebook and photobucket!! Grrrr!! I will try and reload my pics from my ftp files but it might take a little while. Sorry....

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=59518&page=1&do=findComment&comment=925759

Flightpath do decals for the F3 I think mate?

Thanks Breaker. Will check them out. I shouldnt have any issue with the main markings as I will design and cut masks for them. The stencil data is what I will really be after.

Oooh! This looks nice!!!

More updates please!!!  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Geez, you guys are like a pack of hungry wolves!

More work!

Time for the razor saw to make an entrance. This conversion requires some pretty careful cutting of the kit plastic and it can either be an easy process or a hard process. The key is not to over complicate things.

The GR.1 fuselage bottom, thinking it was going to have an easy life....

1-X3.jpg

The conversion calls for the insert to be placed along a panel line that is quite prominent on the side of the fuselage, but doesn't extend around to the bottom. I placed some dymo tape, lined up with both sides of the fuselage panel line.

This was then lightly scribed with my Trumpeter scriber, before being deepend with the tape removed in preparation for the razor saw.

2-X3.jpg

Some time was spent working out how to tackle the top cut over the spine as it is a compound curve and would not conform to conventional straight edges. I found that drawing a line with pencil held at the right height whilst the fuselage was rotated around it worked the best.

3-X3.jpg

I then used the razor saw to carefully cut the deepend panel lines until the part separated.

4-X3.jpg

The fuselage plug dry fitted to the kit part. Pretty bloody good.

5-X3.jpg

The next part to be fitted was the large fuselage bottom with the all important missile wells.

6-X3.jpg

I measured the rebate

7-X3.jpg

I divided the first measurement by 2 (rounded up to the nearest .05mm) and marked out a line either side of the fuselage halves.

8-X3.jpg

This was then scribed and deepend as per before, along with squaring up the edge of the wheel bay and extending it to the long lines.

9-X3.jpg

Nice straight cuts of some pretty big pieces. I reckon a JLC razor say will be mandatory if you are going to be building this conversion.

10-X3.jpg

Some small locating lugs needed to be removed to fit the part.

11-X3.jpg

The reward for the precision measurements and cuts was that the new part virtually clicked into place.

12-X3.jpg

The modified forward fuselage. Some filler will be required here and there but overall, very pleased with the progress.

13-X3.jpg

Eric, you will have to trim a little off the bottom corner of the nose UC bay where it sits over the leading missile recess. If you get the bay in properly the cockpit bath sits directly on top, so hopefully holding the belly plate and preventing it from falling into the fuselage. It should be pretty sturdy when all glued together.

Edited by wunwinglow