Help with my new riveting tool...

I'm making a riveting tool. It will be about 2 inches long and will be curved on an 18" radius. You will start at one edge and roll down the rivets without the need for a guide if you follow scribed panel lines. Because in rolls it can follow curves etc. I'd like to only make one or two so I'm asking for a general idea how far flush aircraft rivets are part. I know what I think but I'm wondering what would look right in general for a typical stressed aluminum skin with flush rivets. A compromise spacing? If I can get the needles and make it work I'd be glad to show what I'm going.

Edited by TwoHands

Depends on the type of aircraft and scale of the model.

I suggest that you visit an airport or an aircraft museum in NY with a sewing fabric type tape measure (in case you have to pass a metal detector) and a note pad and share the results here.

Depends on the type of aircraft and scale of the model.

I suggest that you visit an airport or an aircraft museum in NY with a sewing fabric type tape measure (in case you have to pass a metal detector) and a note pad and share the results here.

I have seen tons of planes and have lots of pics. What I'm asking is what would look obviously WRONG? I'm thinking a good average is 4".

I have seen tons of planes and have lots of pics. What I'm asking is what would look obviously WRONG? I'm thinking a good average is 4".

Well, as an example, 4" @ 1/32 scale:

4"/32=1/8"

To verify your estimate, you could also dig an older scale kit out of your stash and measure the rivet distancing on it, adjusting for the scale of course.

I'm not really sure that one rivet every 4'' is enough... Extreme example, I know, but look at this image of a NMF DC-3:

7O9uus4.png

There seems to be a rivet at least every inch!

Another example can be found looking at the link, that MARU posted in general discussion: https://blog.klm.com/4-photos-of-naked-klm-aircraft-leaked/

There's a closeup of a 747 showing the incredible amount of rivets that they use to keep the skin in place.

I'm not sure if it would look good to have too many rivets on a scale model, but I think a scale 4'' might be a bit too scarce...

Opinions?

I'm not really sure that one rivet every 4'' is enough... Extreme example, I know, but look at this image of a NMF DC-3:

7O9uus4.png

There seems to be a rivet at least every inch!

Another example can be found looking at the link, that MARU posted in general discussion: https://blog.klm.com/4-photos-of-naked-klm-aircraft-leaked/

There's a closeup of a 747 showing the incredible amount of rivets that they use to keep the skin in place.

I'm not sure if it would look good to have too many rivets on a scale model, but I think a scale 4'' might be a bit too scarce...

Opinions?

Wow that is a ton of rivets!

• 2 months later...

In most monocoque or semi-monocoque aircraft the general rule of thumb was spacing of "4d to 12d"....with "d" being the diameter of the rivet shank. Now this depends on a multitude of factors, such as manufacturer, structure, shape, etc. AC 43.13 is a great reference.......Use it all the time.

I will be interested to see what you come up with tool wise.

THOR     :ninja: