Bf 109T-2 slats

Lud13

Hello all

I remember i read somwhere that all Bf 109T had their slats locked beacose they where too long and made aircraft unstable at low speeds.

I looked lot of pictures and it seems that in all of them slats are close. Can anyone confirm this ??

I also need pictures of red 5 (outlined in black) from 2./JG77 so if any of u have something to help me...great!!! :frantic::):blowup:

Thx

Dejan

• 3 weeks later...
I remember i read somwhere that all Bf 109T had their slats locked beacose they where too long and made aircraft unstable at low speeds.

I looked lot of pictures and it seems that in all of them slats are close. Can anyone confirm this ??

You may be confusing locked slats with locked wing spoilers. I could find no mention of locked slats on the '109 T. However, writing about the Bf 109 T-2 land-based version, Francis Marshall states on page 24 of his book Sea Eagles: The Messerschmitt Bf 109T (Air Research Publications [uK], 1993; 322 pages) that "The wing spoilers for example were deactivated but remained a part of the wing." The same book states on page 16 that the wing spoilers were located on the upper surfce of the wing (emphasis mine) and were installed during the initial production process but then deactivated.

I also need pictures of red 5 (outlined in black) from 2./JG77 so if any of u have something to help me...great!!! :goodjob::):)

Is this it?:

112.jpg

Although the photo's caption says "Black 5," the tactical numeral looks to me as if it's red with a black outline.

Charles Metz

Hi

I've had a look at a couple of books and can't find any reference to the slats being locked up - I would have thought the slow speed handling enhancements that the slats were meant to give would have been highly desirable on the T...? What was de-activated and locked were the upper wing mounted spoilers. These were linked to the throttle and I could imagine would have been a potential hassle.

The area where the slats were located was covered by a fabric or light metal patch.

As I can't see my 109T conversion at the moment I'm not sure whether A2Z cover the inclusion (on the T-2 at least) of a circular hatch for the Patin compass (similar location to that found on the G) and a filler hatch for GM1 system located above this on some machines.

More info if you PM me with an email address.

Matt

Thx for Your responces...

Yes that is the picture of the plane i was looking for. Pretty heavy mottling on fuselage sides, not like on some profiles i have seen of the same plane. I find this particular plane interesting because in Kagero profile in Norway No3 its stated and shown by the scatch that upper wings are painted standard scheme of rlm74/75 but with 75 heavily squiggled with 74 .

As for locked slats look like my memory tricked me. I search all i can find and nowhere i find something to back up my initial writing.

Compass hatches where different but only on later ( by later i mean after overhauling sometime i 1943 i think ) T-2 versions which had installed GM boost, they also had new fiesler air intake.

Those hatches are not mentioned in Alley Cat conversion.

Dejan