1/48 Kitty Hawk AH-1Z Viper

DoogsATX

Coming back around to the Viper now that main paint is wrapped on the Leo C2. We're not quite ready for paint yet...last night was focused on getting the rotor hub sorted (including the fussy little linkage struts). Got these knocked out by Tamiya Extra-Thinning them to the rotors, then using tweezers to match them into the mounting holes on the chopper. They do a great job holding the rotor upright - I just hate that the sprue attachments are right in the friggin' middle of the strut, and the struts are so fragile that you don't really dare to sand them.

Kitty%20Hawk%20AH-1Z%2003-15-15-3-X3.jpg

I also got the sensor ball and housing installed last night. Pretty solid fit. Though I'm going to call TOTAL CRAP that there is basically nothing between the cockpit and the ball itself. I opted to paint everything black, but there should really be a plate of some kind there. Not the first surprise of this kind I've encountered on this build. 

Kitty%20Hawk%20AH-1Z%2003-15-15-4-X3.jpg

Closer and closer to paint!

Kitty%20Hawk%20AH-1Z%2003-15-15-1-X3.jpg

Started throwing primer around yesterday...ALMOST ready for paint but not quite. Didn't knock out the seam on the sensor ball housing as well as I thought, and the sink marks in the rotor cuffs are being frustratingly persistent. More sanding and more priming tonight.

IMG_20150316_004956-X3.jpg

IMG_20150316_005055-X3.jpg

At some point, I have to mask all the glass. Ugh.

It was supposed to rain yesterday, but the clouds moved out around noon and yielded a gorgeous, clear night. So...I finally bit the bullet and masked the Viper's canopy parts.

IMG_20150318_223523-X3.jpg

Next time I'll hold off until the mask set becomes available. The main greenhouse wasn't so bad, but some of the angles on the side glass were frustrating.

Also finished cleanup and priming on the nose housing, Hellfires and so on. I'm STILL having difficulties with the rotor cuff sink marks. Tempted at this point to just coat the entire upper sides of them in Mr Surfacer 500 or something. 

Anyway, apart from the cuff troubles, the sucker's ready for paint. 

IMG_20150319_010727-X3.jpg

Yep, MS 1500. Best primer out there IMO

Cheers!  I do SO love my Tamiya fine white, but I have been using MS 1500 gray out of the bottle through my AB, but last night I ruined the bottle, as it was getting a bit thick, so I added some thinner to it..................the only problem was it was the MS "aquas" thinner I keep around to augment my Tamiya thinner.  :(   So im going to order some more gray, but wanted to grab some black while im at it.

This does look terrific....definitely going to have to pick some up.

That is outstanding! Am I right thinking you've more or less mottled on the light grey over the black?

Really impressive how you've kept the shadows in the panel lines, no panel wash needed there!

/Erik

That is outstanding! Am I right thinking you've more or less mottled on the light grey over the black?

Really impressive how you've kept the shadows in the panel lines, no panel wash needed there!

/Erik

Yep, that's essentially how I do it. Call it "black basing". Sort of marbled coat over the black, then a general blending coat over that. Works wonders, especially with light grays.

I only just found this and wow! I love what you're doing here Matt! That gloss black right back at the start in the cockpit, what was that? I've got to get my hands on some of it :)

Craig

Thanks! I used four blacks up front. The "gloss" ones would be Vallejo Game Color black or Liquitex black acrylic ink. The Gunze Mr. Surfacer 1500 is more of a satin black, and Tamiya XF-1 is good old flat black.

Beautiful, clear night last night, so, MOAR PAINT! Just about got through the light gray (still have to carry it out to the rotor blades). 

Kitty%20Hawk%20AH-1Z%20Viper%2003-22-15-

Kitty%20Hawk%20AH-1Z%20Viper%2003-22-15-

Frustratingly I've been getting a bit of rough finish in places...may need to do some polish sanding and retouching. I suspect it has to do with the primer coat - my Grex has been shooting a bit funny and I wonder if it's not a slightly bent needle or something that's throwing things off.

Looks terrific!

I really wish SB would get a re-stock of the MS 1500 black in! Id love to make an order with a bunch more surfacer stuff too, but the black (in bottle) seems to be out there on the regular. I know they have the rattle cans in stock and I could decant, but would rather have the bottle if at all possible.