Mind if I dock here?

WrongWay

This is cool. I've wanted to do a R/C ship for some time, preferably a 1:96 battleship.

Go for it! A battleship would be much easier to convert than the big PT. You won't need the heavy duty running gear I had to use since you are looking for a more scale like speed. After seeing Ron's magnificent Arizona I've been thinking about building one myself. That will be for later though as I have a date with a Junkers 88 after the PT.

Why not go all the way. :lol:

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/shipmodels/german_models/admiralgrafspeeterra.html

Cheers,

Don

Edited by WrongWay

And here is the PT update for the week. It was delayed after my hard drive bought the big one. Lucky for me that I keep regular backups of my system on an external drive so I lost nothing other than my time. Anyway here we go! I sprayed a huge amount of flat clear enamel on the hull over the weekend and got the exhausts finished and mounted. She is now ready for the water! I can now get back to work on the deck and the fun stuff will soon begin.

Please excuse the lint and dust that always seem to find their way into my photos.

IMG_7981.jpg

I didn't bring the black camo onto the exhaust because I wanted them to be seen and not blend all the way in. I just stuck to the two greens as my personal touch. The exhaust shutters will probably have the black camo painted on though.

IMG_7989.jpg

The flat enamel coat went on without any trouble and is smooth as a baby's bottom. I used Model Master enamel for this job. It caused no problems with the future and dried quickly. There is actually more weathering than the pictures show. It's probably due to the flash. That said I went with more subtle weathering and nothing over the top. Photos of the late Elco boats show them to be in excellent condition. More progress shots coming next week and perhaps a test run at the lake.

IMG_7996.jpg

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/shipmodels/german_models/admiralgrafspeeterra.html

Did you notice the ships call letters are ME109E.

Is that MEsserschmitt or MainE?

Love those late war Elcos. Wonderful work, Don.

Sincerely,

Mark

I'm sure he had something to do with that registration. :D For such a unique vessel they probably let him choose whatever registration number he wanted. I would love to see it in person.

Cheers,

Don

Finally I've got the bridge completed! :frantic: Due to the thickness of the plastic and the way the bridge goes together it had many deep sink marks to fill. I can now get it coated in future and start on the camo. I hope to have it mounted to the deck by next week. Unfortunatley there are also quite a few more parts that will be a struggle on this kit. Make sure to stock up on sandpaper if you are going to build this one!

It's a tricky build! Due to the channels they made for the walls to fit into it left deep sink marks on both sides and the front.

IMG.jpg

These are just raw shots of the bridge and nothing is final. I'm happy just to be at this point after all the work I had to do to it.

IMG_8018.jpg

The rounded surfaces such as the gun tub were covered in a sort of corrugated texture that required a lot of sanding down.

IMG_8019.jpg

IMG_8021.jpg

IMG_8025.jpg

The torpedo mounts also had deep sink marks on their sides which I've now fixed. They also have deep ejector pin marks that need filling in. Not to mention that they don't mount flush with the deck. Lots of work to do here.

IMG_8029.jpg

This side locker also had the corrugated texture and required much careful sanding in order to not destroy the door frame detail. A pe door handle was used to replace the plastic one which was lost during all the sanding.

IMG_8030.jpg

As mentioned the front and sides of the bridge had the worst sink marks of all. Lots of filling in with ca and block sanding. I'm quite happy with it now and also with the way my plastic card trim turned out.

IMG_8038.jpg

IMG_8039.jpg

I'm getting ready to clean up the exhaust shutters and also to replace the flappers with pe replacements.

IMG_8043.jpg

The toe rails are provided in two pieces and they need to be one piece. They also need a lot of clean up. I would suggest taping these down to your work bench while sanding so you won't end up with three piece rails as they are quite delicate. I've got one nearly finished and will start on the other later tonight.

IMG_8046.jpg

And lastly all of the deck blowers were coverd in sink marks. Some were worse than others. Nothing some ca and a lot of sanding won't fix. On two of the worst ones I'm having to restore the lip which was lost to sanding. And that does it for this update. Hopefully I can get the deck mounted by next week and then I can shift into high gear on this project.

IMG_8052.jpg

Think it could work? :D

IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8084.jpg

Imagine water skiing behind a 6,000hp PT Boat. :D

IMG_8056.jpg

Pretty radical stuff back there. With a wire rope he just might be able to hang ten though. No wonder I can't get anything done! :doh: Back to work now.

IMG_2733.jpg

Edited by WrongWay

:rofl: ... OH and BTW, the boat is looking quite lovely. Like it alot !.....Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv! Now if I can quit goofing around I might just get something done. :D I'm actually working on the torpedo mounts at the moment. I need to get them done and mounted before I paint the deck again. Look for more updates by Monday or so. I'm stuck with overtime again this week so it might be a small update. Every bit counts though.

Cheers,

Don