Mind if I dock here?

WrongWay

Although my main hobby is LSP's I have a lot of R/C experience. I managed a hobby shop for 5 years back in 80's, did R/C aircraft for about 10 years (still have them but don't fly much these days) and owned 1/3 of an R/C shop in Edmonton up until last fall.

Cheers

I would greatly appreciate any help or pointers you can give me Ron! I've built a few gas boats way back when but these were kits and already had running hardware that simply bolted in. I've never tried making my own controls let alone a three rudder control setup. The rear of this boat is very narrow and the servo doesn't need to travel very far to get good deflection. Personally I think I'm getting too much deflection on the rudders. Do you really think I should change it? I'm not sure I understand on the bell crank. This is the only kind of bellcrank I could find. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXDF04&P=7 I'll try to find some examples of a multi rudder setup online too.

This is what I have so far. Keep in mind this is just a test setup. The rudder shafts are not bolted in and the rudder linkage has not been aligned. The servo will be mounted securely on balsa rails. I will add that the steering does seem to work nicely the way it is now. I will change it though if you still think I need to.

Here is the servo in neutral. All three rudders sit aligned.

IMG_2459.jpg

Now a left turn from the servo view.

IMG_2453.jpg

All rudders turn left.

IMG_2455.jpg

Now right from the servo view.

IMG_2448.jpg

Rudders turn right.

IMG_2450.jpg

Here you can see the rudder shafts. I plan to run them through some balsa blocks and then glue those to the hull for support.

IMG_2464.jpg

A look from the bottom.

IMG_2470.jpg

I will be cutting these rudders down and grinding them to a scale shape but they wont be cut too small. Length wise they will be half the size they are now. I think I will still have enough control authority since I have three. I have spares if not. :)

IMG_2463.jpg

The rudder tubes can't be simply bolted in due to the angle of the hull. The balsa blocks I plan to make will take care of the alignment.

IMG_2476.jpg

Actually what you have there will work fine from what I can tell. If you have to much throw (which it looks like you might) move the servo left a little and back a little, then move the push rod closer to the center of the servo arm and cut the arm so it doesn't mess with the rudder arms. The closer the push rod is to the servo = less throw.

This is a bell crank

(((CLICKY))

Ron

Actually what you have there will work fine from what I can tell. If you have to much throw (which it looks like you might) move the servo left a little and back a little, then move the push rod closer to the center of the servo arm and cut the arm so it doesn't mess with the rudder arms. The closer the push rod is to the servo = less throw.

This is a bell crank

(((CLICKY))

Ron

Thanks Ron! Seems I was overthinking that bell crank. :goodjob: I had people constantly interupting me today but I still managed to get the motor mounted and the hole around the stern tube filled in. I'm off Monday so I get to work on it all day. :please: I should have her ready for the bathtub float test soon. I want to see where the waterline ends up at. Also need to try a sink test just to be safe. I expect to make the first test run at the pond by next weekend. I'll post a video when I do.

Cheers,

Don

The PT is now officially converted to R/C. I'm shocked as it didn't give me single problem when I fired it up for the first time. Controls are smooth and she seems to have a lot of power. Once the glue I used to seal the stern tube is dry I'll give it the bathtub test and see where the water line ends up at. As much as I would like to continue I think I'll stop now so I can finish my Hurricane. This project is getting addictive and I don't want the Hurricane to end up on the stalled project list.

I still need to section off the battery compartment from the receiver but that will be done later.

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

Had to borrow one of the 7.2volt packs from the big guy. He wasn't happy. :speak_cool:

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

Here are my reshaped rudders. I first made a template from palstic card and then marked each rudder. A dremel tool was then used to cut and grind them into a rough shape. After that a fine tuning with sanding sticks and then they were finish honed around the edges.

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

I also made a new bolt plate around the bigger stern tube to for a finishing touch.

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

She just passed the leak test. The water line is perfect too. I would say the water line is slightly above where the real one would be. In short weight is not an issue and I can bring on the PE goodies! Motor thrust was strong enough to churn all the bathtub water into a vortex so I would say I've got plenty of power too. The battery pack I was using is over three years old so I should get more performance out of a new one.

IMG_2583.jpg

Don,

Can I thank you for bringing us something completely different and really interesting!!

This is so refreshing to see. I have no knowledge of RC stuff but I have a 1/16 tank on my dreamlist.

Hope your rubber ducky didn't mind giving up the tub for your monster!

Looking forward to seeing you splash that brass around!

OK that's enough for now, go on back and finish that lovely Hurricane!

Phil :BANGHEAD2:

Don,

Can I thank you for bringing us something completely different and really interesting!!

This is so refreshing to see. I have no knowledge of RC stuff but I have a 1/16 tank on my dreamlist.

Hope your rubber ducky didn't mind giving up the tub for your monster!

Looking forward to seeing you splash that brass around!

OK that's enough for now, go on back and finish that lovely Hurricane!

Phil :blink:

Yep it's Hurri time! I should have her wrapped up in few weeks provided I have no interuptions. And when has that ever happened? :whistle: Perhaps I should not set a time line. :lol: It's always refreshing to try something different like this boat project. I've had the idea for a while which is probably why it came together so easily. I thought it out well in advance of the build. You will find that R/C stuff is very easy to do these days. There's no magic to it it's really quite simple. I highly recommend Tamiya's 1/16 line of tanks. These are very easy to build and you don't need any previous experience with R/C to build one. There are no servos to deal with and everything just bolts and plugs into place. If you end up getting one please build it here so we can watch. :BANGHEAD2:

This might get you turn that dream into reality. All the goodies you could ever want for a Tamiya tank.

http://www.tankzone.co.uk/category/cat_upgrades.htm

Aaaah you've got me drooling again!

Yes, I was looking at the Leopard 2 A6. I've found a couple of places that will throw in a couple of batteries and the actual remote control unit for a pretty good price.

I also looked at the Tankzone aftermarket stuff. All those metal wheels and running gear.

I would also have to have the self-levelling gun mechanism!!!

Its a big deal but hey Santa's coming soon!

Thanks Don!

Phil :BANGHEAD2:

That looks cool there Don.Will be looking in often but be sure to get a video for us on the water.

Cheers Javlin! I should have a video of the test run posted by tomorrow night. Barring any accidents that is. :speak_cool:

Great stuff Don :speak_cool:...Brings out the youngster in me again just seeing your work :D

Derek

Cheers Derek! It makes for a fun change of pace that's for sure. Might get into R/C airplanes a bit later too.

Thought I would show you the final interior bits of the PT. The battery is not shown installed in these photos but it sits in a cradle in the center of the hull on top of the red cushions. I'll have more photos later.

In the tradition of military factories everywhere I painted the entire thing ugly green inside. :D Working bits and all except for the motor can and speed control. This will hide the inside from all the walkway lights that cover the deck.

IMG_2640.jpg

The receiver is now sealed in it's own watertight compartment under clear plastic sheet.

IMG_2645.jpg

All those little squares are deck lights that will have clear lenses.

IMG_2634.jpg

The hull channel has now been added. This is provided in three pieces due to the length. Not sure why they couldn't have just molded this into the hull. :speak_cool:

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

Here I made new stern tubes out of brass tubing for the scale props. The scale props have been replaced by G-Factor solid brass props. You get them in the Dragon PE kit too but the G-Factor props are nicer.

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

The G-Factor props are nice but with a little sanding and polishing they can be even better. Here I've refinished one of the blades. It takes quite a bit of sanding and polishing but it will be worth it in the end.

IMG_2654.jpg