Tigger (ID Models) Ki-45 Nick Vac - DONE !!!!!

Thomas Lund

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, time for an update. Last time I was fighting the control surfaces, and especially the ailerons gave me grief. I have now completed the third pair and I am happy with that. I will not mount them until I've scribed the plane. Ailerons in the back

CntWDjo.jpg

But overall the plane seems to have fewer and fewer rough spots

jHZI9uv.jpg

And I've started sketching out the lines to scribe. I really dread scribing, but it has to be done.... (still a bit to clean up on the wingtip)

iWSVEg3.jpg

It seems that every time I complete a task I am thinking "just a little clean up and I can get to the painting..." but oh no - something new pops up every time

This time it was remebering that this version had a landing light in the nose. After a little thought and a little experimentation, I settled on this approach. Some clear plastic was cut from a toothbrush

3aRp2yO.jpg

A suitable gap was milled out of the nose

CsOZmxW.jpg

And the clear plastic with a lens painted on the back side was mounted. Now I have to file it down, sand it gently to shape and polish it back to a good shine. I plan to do the same with wingtip navigation lights

uuzPOcD.jpg

Thanks Lee... I think it'll be a while until I do another...

Forgot: I've been mounting the vac canopy's on the fuselage (no pics, they are covered right now), and and I've been adding frames to the opening part of the canopy. Rest will get same treatment

RXukM1n.jpg

So, after half an evening of sanding, first with my proxxon, then finer and finer grit sandpaper and finally polishing with tamiya polishing compound, this is the result. Way above expectations - actually so clear that I wish I'd made a better rendition of the light on the back side :-)

MT2Lb4Y.jpg

Shaka - lol yeah, I had to go and buy a toothbrush specifically for this.

I was very surpriced how well it turned out - how clear it got. Way smaller problem than expected

I'm thinking about re-doing it with a nicer lamp behind

Edited by Thomas Lund

Ive been watching this one Thomas, but for whatever reason never seemed to comment on it.  Its REALLY starting to come together!!

I guess I should be thanking you for starting this, as now we have an IM Ki-45 coming, and its probably the direct result of your hard work on this vac.  :lol: 

The Zoki Ki-45 I saw at the Nationals was still a 3D printed mock up. Keep going and you will beat it to your model shelf. Landing gear for vac kits have been a block for me. Your gear bays look very convincing. I am going to pull my kit out this morning and see what I can do.

Rick