Testor's 1/48 Travel Air Mystery Ship - what would you do?

Cap'n Wannabe

So I decided to start working on a Testors 1/48 Travel Air Mystery Ship.  Those of you familiar with the kit will know that the cockpit detail is non-existent....with that in mind, I decided to scratch build the cockpit.  Things were travelling along quite nicely - I'd finished the rear bulkhead, put in some sidewall detail (using a considerable amount of imagination, as there's bugger all on the internet..), done a floor, the back part of the IP, just about finished the joystick, and finished the seat.  This morning I was test fitting the seat to see how well it fit into the cockpit (and maybe sand it back a touch..) when I dropped it.  Now a cockpit seat is a reasonably large part....and I can't find the damn thing!  FAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRKKKKKK!!!!

Edited by Cap'n Wannabe

And, of course, five seconds after writing the above, I found the seat. icon_rolleyes.gif 
Here's a pic of what I've done so far. I *may* even get this done for expo..

38A34B94-9F5C-4F6F-BB19-0225DFCBA95C_zps

From left to right..
Cockpit sidewall with throttle quadrant
Cockpit sidewall with map case (couldn't think of anything else to put there..)
IP prior to cutting it down to size
Rear bulkhead
Cockpit floor
Seat
Joystick

The kit wheels and spats..

9984EC58-F7EE-4075-A871-D4B3E648B4C5_zps

What I'm planning to do is cut the wheels in half, then remove the short axle from them.  This will facilitate assembling the spats first, then I can paint them separately...it'll make masking much easier. (I speak from experience here!)  I've cut two lengths of 1.5mm dia rod to substitute for the axles, and they'll be glued in when I assemble the spats.

As other aircrafts of the era, the Mystery ship was built with wood stringers on a welded steel-tubes framework.

I started building a LSM 1/32 kit, which went to a screeching halt because of the too many corrections I had to do to make it accurate, and decided to start a 3D-design for an accurate 3-d printed master, which itself was halted in mid-air when business urgencies linked to the long-term sick-leave of my company's sales and accounting secretary forced me to postpone indefinitely ongoing projects to take over administering daily sales and accounting ... (she sadly died end of January this year, after a 7-months fight with cancer :crying: )

Anyway, hopefully the pics I included in my thread can be of some help for you in your project.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=57302&page=4

I may still have the Testors kit  somewhere in the stash. If true, it'd be yours should you need any spares after the carpet monster digested your parts ;). I alo have the Philipps book, excellent, from where I can sca, pages for references if you need.

Hubert

As other aircrafts of the era, the Mystery ship was built with wood stringers on a welded steel-tubes framework.

I started building a LSM 1/32 kit, which went to a screeching halt because of the too many corrections I had to do to make it accurate, and decided to start a 3D-design for an accurate 3-d printed master, which itself was halted in mid-air when business urgencies linked to the long-term sick-leave of my company's sales and accounting secretary forced me to postpone indefinitely ongoing projects to take over administering daily sales and accounting ... (she sadly died end of January this year, after a 7-months fight with cancer :crying: )

Anyway, hopefully the pics I included in my thread can be of some help for you in your project.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=57302&page=4

I may still have the Testors kit  somewhere in the stash. If true, it'd be yours should you need any spares after the carpet monster digested your parts ;). I alo have the Philipps book, excellent, from where I can sca, pages for references if you need.

Hubert

Geez, that's some great work there, Hubert!  I'd certainly be tempted by a 1/32 Mystery Ship, should you finish your corrections..

Unfortunately, I couldn't find many images of the cockpit on the internet - those that were available were from flight simulator aircraft, so I'd say mine's pretty inaccurate!

im on my knees under my desk so often its like a 2nd work area. there was that one time the part fell and it just wasnt on the floor. eventually found it in the turnup crease at the bottom of my pants - haha. Biggest danger is riding over the part as you wheel your chair back to look for the part.