Trumpeter 1/48 Wellington

BradG

Never thought I would see a 1/48 Wellington, but here I am building one. I resisted getting this when it came out due to the fact I've build Trumpeter kits before and was left somewhat underwhelmed by the experience. I picked this up second hand for the right price and thought I'd build it for my clubs display at Model Expo next year.

P1010011-4.jpg

Lots of painting is required before you can start glueing the fuselage together. I've left out the dust bin lower turret and some other pieces from the rear fuselage as you wont see them at all. I'm not opening up the bomb bay either.

wellington.jpg

Good job! This is a nice kit. I have one partially done...will finish it one of these days.

There are a few nice aftermarket decal options available, too.

Cheers,

Tim W.

Great job. I did the same in my fuselage. I stalled and spun in when it came to that strange redish colour that looks kinda whitewashed in the fusleage. Its a pretty nice kit I think.

Cheers Matty

I used an acrylic for the doped linen red weird color--then enamels for the silver and other colors--made things go a bit easier.

Tim W.

Revell brick red worked for me in the interior. I've already got the Tally Ho decals for the captured Wellington, that I purchased with the kit for the massive sum of...3 dollars :)

wellington_kxt_051.jpg

2_1.jpg

Fit of the major sections is ok, but the lower forward fuselage and sections over the turrets will require more and rather careful work. Wings are fine, the engines will slot on without the need for filler (just need to finish the cowlings) but the fit of the flaps is imprecise as in usual Trumpeter fashion, straight edges aren't and vigerous sanding will only make the issue worse!

13.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Put on your sunglasses. After a marathon 3 hours session last night I got the yellow on. Had been waiting for some decent weather as we have evaporative cooling in the house and it pretty much screws any airbrushing, unless you like water in your paint.

11.jpg

Wow, sunglasses duly found! Looks good mate. I know what you mean about the a/c messing with your airbrushing. My paint booth is directly under the room's split system. I've found that DampRid (I buy it from Coles supermarkets) really helps though.

Kev