Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Thanks for checking in and the very kind words on the progress to date. I was pretty confused myself as to the cockpit colors, exactly as you said, it's all over the place. I have a few books published in the mid sixties covering SBD's and there are a few photos (B&W) showing exactly the aircraft I'm modeling and the interior - which looks bare aluminum (aluminum lacquer paint). From the research I've done SBD-1 interiors were painted aluminum lacquer and when the SBD-2 started coming of the line the interiors also began to be painted Interior Green. I'm willing to bet there were some SBD-1 whose interiors were IG just to add to the confusion.

Peter

There most definitely was. What really threw a wrench in the works was the unrestored Dauntless being pulled out of Lake Michigan.  The interior of that one is in IG, and it was a -1.  I got to see it up close when it made a visit to Castle Air Museum in Atwater on a trip from San Diego.  I've got some pictures kicking around somewhere, I'll have to try to find them for you.  

But it's your model, so build it exactly how you want. And with such a minefield of colors, no one can really ever tell you that you're wrong.  Aluminum is probably just as correct as IG

Matt  :frantic:

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

I remember seeing those photos and yes, the cockpit interior was interior green. But all early, pre-war SBD-1 were painted with aluminum lacquer paint and at some point that changed to IG. what makes it so confusing, it is is easy to find photographs showing both interiors.

Peter