P-51C "Evalina"

sluggo

Next, I welded the sides in place. The top piece is just taped in place until I can dust the inside of the cockpit and glass. Then I'll seal it up and fill the hinge area on the right side. Then It's off to re-prime, double check and base coat.

I'm off the rest of the week so I hope to get some paint on it by the weekend.

p51b500005.jpg

p51b500006.jpg

p51b500007.jpg

p51b500008.jpg

Edited by sluggo

Well, I have not made a lot of headway unless you consider headway painting and stripping three times.  :BANGHEAD2:  I was able to resist the urge to introduce it to a stationary obeject. I guess that's progress. I finally achieved a nearly acceptable NMF. It's going to have to do though because I can't continue to paint this turd. It is my first real attempt at NMF so cut me a little slack. :whistle:

Tried foil and two rounds of SnJ. Both of those sucked. Finally sanded the primer down with 2000 and sprayed a nice wet coat of DuPont 1K clear on it, then sprayed Alclad chrome directly over it. It will work nicely on a model that has not served as a test bed. Not sure where I'm headed next. I have to start thinking about how I'm getting the panel lines back. I may have to make stencils and spray them on. Anyway, It's been good practice for my Tamiya kit.  At least there won't be any experimenting on it.

Here's what I've got as of now.

p51b600001.jpg

Edited by sluggo

Finally got some more work done. Spent quite a bit of time in Illustrator drawing and sizing the stencils.

This this is fast becoming intolerable. I used frog tape to mask the canopy and apparently the clear was able to penetrate it and make a mess of the canopy. I also forgot to plug the intakes and tail wheel openings allowing overspray on the inside of the canopy. I had to cut the lid off the canopy and get inside to clean it up with denatured alcohol. I think I can fix it but it will be alot of work. The alclad seems to tolerate masking and handling pretty well but is beginning to show signs of being over worked. 

I'm going to see the painting and masking through to the end but will probably not finish it completely. If the rest of the stenciling goes ok I may mask over it and re-shoot the Alclad then seal everything.

Enough whining, on to some pics.

Masking the nose art.

p51b700001.jpg

First color sprayed, secondary mask in place.

p51b700002.jpg

Second color sprayed.

p51b700003.jpg

De-masked. A couple of touch ups are needed.

p51b700004.jpg

Painting stars step 1.

p51b700005.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to take the next twp pics. Basically, what I did was paint the white inside the mask above trying to stay off the edges then covered the areas that would stay white with the next mask and then sprayed the blue.

p51b700006.jpg

Edited by sluggo

Now it's time to overpaint the stars.

Stencil applied and white edge painted.

p51b700007.jpg

Smaller mask applied and ready to spray red. 

p51b700008.jpg

After de-mask and a little cleanup

p51b700009.jpg

Nose art after cleanup and touch up. I found that a blue shop towel damp with windex works quite nicely to deal with light bleeding around the stencil. I layered the L wrong and had to correct it by hand.

p51b700010.jpg

Edited by sluggo

Nice work Sluggo!  Awaiting the sharkmouth!

Regards,

Let you discontinue your wait.

Forgot to take pics of painting eyes.

Masked outline of mouth.

p51b800001.jpg

White painted and teeth masked.

p51b800002.jpg

Red sprayed.

p51b800003.jpg

Cut back mask for black outline and masked lower mouth.

p51b800004.jpg

Black painted

p51b800005.jpg

Edited by sluggo