Hasegawa P-40E

sluggo

Hello all!

I would like to join the build. I plan to do a P-40E captured by the Japanese. It will be mostly OOB.

JA-P40E-873x441.jpg

I actually did a test run on this aircraft using a Revell 1:32 kit as a mule to help myself learn to paint with acrylics. All markings are painted on the mule and will be on the new build as well. I've been out of modelling for nearly ten years prior to this. I built the mule gear up and did not spend any time rescribing after the immense amount of filler work to make the cowling fit. This project was all about painting.

Here is a pic of the mule.

dun00001.jpg

I'm finishing up a 1:48 F-104G and then I'll get started on this project. I should have the Starfighter finished up this weekend.

Cool. You might like these;

japbook21_zps1a1f566a.jpg

japhawk3_zpse3eec96f.jpg

I ran across these earlier today. When I painted the mule I worked mostly from Davis' rendering. Looking at these pics, the eyes seem to be a little more rounded like you see on most P-40s.

Thanks for the welcoming and thanks for having me.

Good to see a P-40 in the GB.

Nice subject.

The Revell P-40 looks great.

Can I assume the nose art was origional US and that they just repainted the insignias ?

If they did.Wouldn't olive drab be a correcter colour rather than gray ?

Edited by Erwin

Cool project!   The Has P-40 really is a little gem of a kit..................however, as just an FYI on the kit, on the Has P-40 E, watch out for the glass area behind the pilot. Its about the only "gotcha" area on the kit.

Hasegawa gives you the rear glass in a two part  configuration that also contains the top of the fuselage, as well as all of the surrounding fuse sides...............the issue is that Hasegawa did not put the aft portion of these two parts (where they join the rest of the fuselage) on any kind of real panel line.

Because of this, it does take some very careful filling and sanding to not only get the erroneous joint to disappear, but also to not damage the window/see through parts of the two clear pieces in the process.

Good luck and looking forward to some progress!

Cheers,

Good to see a P-40 in the GB.

Nice subject.

The Revell P-40 looks great.

Can I assume the nose art was origional US and that they just repainted the insignias ?

If they did.Wouldn't olive drab be a correcter colour rather than gray ?

Your assumptions are correct. I did not provide pictures but I actually painted the U.S. markings on first then overpainted them so that there would be a paint edge present under the meatballs. I figured I would illustrate that process as part of this build.

It is painted OD green. I think the color flip is a result of the lighting in my garage.

Here's a pic at an earlier stage in better light in my secret laboratory that shows the color a little better.. If you look close you can see the stars under the meatballs.

wb00039.jpg

Edited by sluggo

• 3 weeks later...

After contemplating this build, I've decided against it. I've always had a P-40E Flying Tiger on my list and have never done it. This kit has to be the one. Revisiting something I've already done was eating away at me too.

I will still participate in the build but will substitute a Revell P-51B and go with one of the following craft. I'm leaning toward "Evalina" because there is more masking and painting to do. It will be my first NMF as well. 

I will start a new thread for the Mustang build as soon as I decide which one I'm doing. 

Germany,%20P-51B-15-NA,%2043-24825,%20T9

Japan,%20P-51C-11-NT,%2044-10816,%20Eval

Edited by sluggo