• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Saber

Saber

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

As a >much< younger modeler. I scrimped & saved to get one of these....got it at the local drugstore....I painted 1/2 the fuselage OD/Grey, while leaving the other side clear....it was the flag-ship of my collection for quite a while.
Thanks for the pix of the instructions!....sure takes one back.

Happy modeling,
Jim

#17 xmh53wrench

xmh53wrench

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Great thread and build, I just scored one of these off the bay...cant wait to see how yours will turn out, great work on the detailing so far, its probably nice to do that where it may actually be seen. Have Fun!!!

#18 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

Thanks guys, it's been a fun build so far. The interesting bit has been comparing some of the parts to more recent offerings (Dragon, Trumpeter, and Tamiya) and seeing the differences in terms of detail.

Here's a couple pics of the fuselage with the rads and fuselage tank in place:

Posted Image

The hole in the rad is for a rod to pass through.

Posted Image

Why do I feel like I should be looking for a 1/32 Lynda Carter figure with bracelets and a tiara? :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Edited by BloorwestSiR, 02 April 2012 - 12:20 AM.

#19 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

BloorwestSiR,

Just read this for the very first time...again...{ nope, I wont be breaking into a song ! :innocent: } and I think you have done a

a brilliant job so far..I have not been to see how you have gotten on since a while back..but It sure does look inspiring work.

some reall good work going on ther Sir,and

I looked at the photos of the instructions and I quite like the way you guys used to have it ! No disrespect of course!

Please post more updates soon as I LOVE Mustangs and this has ME hooked now..again... :m0152:

Edited by MARU5137, 02 June 2012 - 01:22 PM.

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#20 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the compliments Maru.

The build sort of stalled for a unusual reason. The wiring to make the kit's prop and gear move keeps breaking. I think it's too brittle but I can find anything that thin to replace it. I may use some very thin gauge speaker wire.

Otherwise, I have the pilot painted now and most of the cockpit together now so once I get the wiring back on track, the rest of the build so go a little easier.

Carl

#21 jbrundt

jbrundt

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

very cool....

what glue/cement are you using for the clear parts?
I've been doing so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to make anything out of nothing.

#22 JamesHatch

JamesHatch

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

I built one of these as a kid, and yes, the prop and undercarriage did work. I'm looking forward to seeing you progress with this one!

resinGB_zpspeh4gov7_1.jpg

#23 Big Texan

Big Texan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Very cool! I have one of these as well. Been sitting around since Sept. 1995. I would like to do a half-n-half. Half see through, half painted up. Looks like a fun kit to build. Look forward to doing it. Be watching this close!
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, and a fool from any direction"

#24 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Bad news folks.

The wiring for all the motorized bits keeps breaking. It seems to be really brittle. My attempt to solder some of the leads back on well, ended badly with the underlying plastic tabs melted. Most of the damage is contained to the base so I may just push ahead and leave the electrical repairs for later on.

As for the build itself, I've goofed up a bit and have run into a bit of a bind. I mounted the wing gun bays to the main spar thinking that this would create a better joint between the parts. Which it did. It also blocked off the bomb racks so those may be in-operational as well :oops:
I am going to see if they can be finangled into place without breaking anything. If not, I have a feeling they will be out of service. I'll try to get some pics up later of my progress (?).

Carl

#25 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 37,089 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

Carl, with the GB now officially over, would you like your build moved to the Works in Progress forum?

Kev

#26 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hi Kev,

I mis-read the end date, thought it was the end of June. Let's leave it here for now and if I find some solutions to the problems, I'll ask to move it then.

Thanks,

Carl

#27 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:44 AM

Hi Carl,

I know this topic was from a long time ago but yours is the only one the search feature finds on the Phantom Mustang.

I'm curious what kind of glue you used that dried so clear on the fuselage parts without making them hazy from glue? I have one of these and I'm considering building it but I'd like it to look decent too.

Cheers,
Brady

#28 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,905 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

Ive got the latest re-release of this kit that I just picked up from the LHS, and have done quite a bit of extensive research on it since the first time I built this as a kid 30 years ago. Usually the best glue to use is a "hot" glue, AKA chemically reactive glue, like Tanex, Tamiyas extra thin, Pastruct's, "Bondene" or Ambroid's "Pro-weld".  All of these glues should provide a solid bond to the usually more brittle clear plastic without any fume issues like CAs would cause.

The only word of caution I might make is the joint on the trailing edges. Applying glue to the trailing edges of both the flaps and ailerons will be problematic, as the mating surfaces there are much wider, and the glue tends to fill up that section and with a clear exterior surface, this can turn out a bit crappy looking.

Edited by Out2gtcha, 26 January 2015 - 02:13 PM.

#29 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the info Brian!

Cheers,

Brady

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users