Dead domed city

spacewolf

I think you mean the CN Tower.

The Space Needle is in Seattle.

The idea for something like that is kind of cool. 

How about a Roman Coliseum hiding in there somewhere!?

Love the idea's but they came too late for this build... who knows what might be in the next one !

So... it's time again for Whats That Nut up to NOW !! :mental:... Update time !! :yahoo:

So, when last we left our intrpid glue sniffer was quite pleased with himself and the progress. I shared the pics with my friend Donald... who said totally seriously... ' The dome was broken by a meteorite ?.. Where is the crater ?"....... So back to the workbench I go.... scratching my brain for how to make a crater in a built model..... :BANGHEAD2:

Tossing caution to the wind I took a big risk and used that old tried and true way of softening plastic... a candle flame. Heated from below until the plastic softened....

5uhSJJW.jpg

Then flipping it over and using the handle of a file I pressed a depression in the base...

L6YJ57m.jpg

It came out ok, but I was still pretty unsure of what I was gonna do. You can see detail in the pics I didn't document.. I had cut a strip of 1/6 X 1/8 and glued it around the outer edge of the disc to form the outer wall of the water way... liquid glue and a stick of styrene was rubbed over the surface of the water area to give a ripple effect.

MBQwHC2.jpg

I used automotive body putty in the depression and a sculpting tool to gradually shape it as it dried to get texture and detail for the crater. Yellow brown was brushed on the water area as I was initially going for a muddy water look..

I had splashed a bit of paint onto some of the buildings but needed some ref so took a few city shots... buildings are varied colors..

XAtJKTm.jpg

Green for grass, browns and blacks for the torn, burnt earth.. one very battered bit of a high rise left on the edge of the crater..

8Fofjzz.jpg

The dome... I wanted ribbing on it, but how to do it ?... first a bit of drawing..

YnIxWhZ.jpg

Not being a math wiz I came up with a quick and dirty way of finding top dead center.. two 90 degree bits of scrap glued together and cut down to the inside height of the dome...

xJ8QhlA.jpg

And a drop from a paint pen...

sXDrSHc.jpg

Then it was simply glue on the half round strips I got from the hobby shop.. a wash in Future to brighten up and smooth things...

qtHzdFh.jpg

And dropped over the city it looks GOOD !

KyOVyDP.jpg

Painting continued.. I'd decided to go with a more blue look for the water with the odd bit of yellow brown showing through.. ribbing/ supports for the outer water wall and tied into the ribbing on the dome were cut and glued into place..

m66OZ6W.jpg

Some detail added to the center cone, color popping up on the buildings...

gS2Oc0X.jpg

KnfZMge.jpg

I splashed some color on the landing pad.. concrete washed with camo grey

8IWOUvD.jpg

And there we are... just a few touch ups and we are ready for.... SHRUBBERIES !!

b9D0v4F.jpg

Time to make like a model railroad nut and make a jungle !!

That's it for this time, Tune in next week to see what this ends up looking like ! :frantic:

Taking shape nicely. Love it :popcorn:

Btw, given the size of the crater, your hole in the dome need not be very big...you could even have a fun game to let people find the said hole... « Where is Charlie the meteorite hole ? »

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Hmmm, I was wondering what you would do for the planet.  Post apocalyptic wasteland?  desert planet?  MARS?!!! Maybe even a water planet.....You can go so many different ways all of which would work spectacularly.

I'm very sure Russ would be grinning from ear to ear.

Keep on truckin' Vaughn.

Truckin' right along.. all will be revealed !