Spacewolf

spacewolf

Yeah mate, know it well:

Photoshopped2.jpg

A horrible kit in my opinion, but the only one out there really (if you can find one). I've still got the B5 space station to build yet.

Kev

It's actually not that bad considering the overall shape and angles. Yes the engines are too short, the fit of the wing parts terrible and the guns a joke just for starters but it's that or scratch build it. To give some perspective on size, here is a pic of the partially built Starfury along with Alexe's tiny resin kit sitting on the 1/24th scale blow up of the plans.

spacewolf01022.jpg

Hi Vaughan,

It's great watching you build all this sci-fi stuff. Like you said, a nice diversion from the rivet counting. Makes me want to get back to work on my 1/24 Viper MkII.

Have you ever been to Starshipmodeler.net? They also have a store and looking at your Starfury, here's the link to some of the AM that they have for that kit:

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/category/12/babylon-5.cfm

Have you stopped work on the twin engined Zero? Or did you finish it and I missed it. That was fun to watch.

Carl

Hi Vaughan,

It's great watching you build all this sci-fi stuff. Like you said, a nice diversion from the rivet counting. Makes me want to get back to work on my 1/24 Viper MkII.

Have you ever been to Starshipmodeler.net? They also have a store and looking at your Starfury, here's the link to some of the AM that they have for that kit:

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/category/12/babylon-5.cfm

Have you stopped work on the twin engined Zero? Or did you finish it and I missed it. That was fun to watch.

Carl

Hey Carl, thanks for the link and yes, I'm well aware of th SSM site, I lurk there regularly :ninja:

1/24 viper ?..the resin kit ? I have one of those too, just too busy with other things to get to it.

The Zero kinda got put on the back burner due to a change of province and job but it is not forgotten. It will get finished shortly.

Cheers

Vaughn

Well, I've got an idea about what you are trying to do.

And what you've done seems to be the usual awesome scratchy stuff.

Looking great!!

Phil :speak_cool:

You know what I'm trying to do ?!!!.....could you please tell me ?..I'm so very confused... :blink:

Thanks for the kind words.

Vaughn

Moving on to the next thing, I cut out the two layers for the canard from 1/16th sheet.

spacewolf003.jpg

These were laminated and then filed and sanded to an airfoil shape.

spacewolfo4.jpg

Positioned under the nose it looks ok.

spacewolf017.jpg

I cut out a flat keel and glued it to the fuselage half shell. To start the wing structure parts were cut and glued on. The wing box extends below the fuselage center line.

spacewolf060.jpg

Angled sections were cut and fitted to the structure. The center one is slightly larger to give the skin a curved section.

spacewolf061.jpg

With the top skin glued on things are looking good.

spacewolf066.jpg

However my two trusty overseers Hans and R2 are concerned...where is the cockpit ? (Hans is a 1/24th fig from a tiger tank who decided he'd rather work for the luftwaffe and thinks this is a great version of the FW-190 and R2 ?..he was a keychain figure that just happened to be 1/24th scale and was the master for the part cast for another project.)

spacewolf070.jpg

More to come soon

Cheers

vaughn

I built the ejection seat by making several box shapes and gluing them together. The headrest part was 6 sided so was interesting to make but came out well. The finned circles on the side of the headrest was made from a q-tip and thin sheet.

spacewolf081.jpg

Padding was made from sections of 1/16th. The edges were rounded and once glued in place coated in liquid cement to give a bit of texture.

spacewolf079.jpg

I wanted the seat to be removable so set about making seat rails from angle stock. A former was cut to shape and glued in, then the angle stock was glued on. Matching rails were glued to the rear of the seat.

spacewolf089.jpg

A little careful adjustment before things dried and the seat slides well with just enough resistance.

spacewolf091.jpg

Test fitting the seat it became obvious that the cockpit would extend into the lower fuselage so a box had to be built to close in the area.

spacewolf119.jpg

Side walls were cut from spoiled versions of the fuselage pulls and glued in.

spacewolf120.jpg

YES! Now get on with it.

Me want more! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

By all means ! :D The floor of the box I made for the cockpit was only positioned, not glued so that I could build the structure up and insert it as a complete item once it was finished. This is the only area of the model I cribbed parts from other kits for. Side panels and the center consol were built up from sheet and tank parts.

spacewolf122.jpg

The oxygen bottles were from a Spitfire and the other bit (which I removed and replaced later) was from a Hurricane. More scratch built detail was added as well as a joystick from another kit. A liferaft from a ship model is the other part on the right console.

spacewolf123.jpg

The right hand instrument pannel was built up. Openings were cut out and radiater parts were used to back them so I could get the gridwork look of the computer screens.

spacewolf124.jpg

The righthand side console was detailed with scratch built detail and a T handle from a race car.

spacewolf131.jpg