OOB build Revell BF-109G6

1to1scale

Had most of them!! But I also had one which was waaaaaay worse (hope it does not happen to you): masked, painted, didn't like it, stripped with what was supposed to be isopropyl alcohol but was in reality nitrocellulose thinner! End result: plastic melted, part ruined! Thank goodness it's a Revell model so just re-ordered it from the website.

While I was priming the P-40, I also did a base coat of dark gray on the cockpit, hopefully I can get this done in the next couple of days and close up the fuselage. I did use a lighter gray than I should have, but I will weather it with a black wash, so it will darken up a bit.

vTIQYzX.jpg

I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but I have the same kit, and can perhaps use it as reference (in addition to all of the other material I have), to add some subtle detailing to my own 1:24 G-6 (late). Thanks a ton.

The whole point of this build was an easy, quick, no hassles build. I managed to make a good, easy kit into a project. I actually put about 2 hours into it on Monday night and another hour last night. Its getting close now, I need to spray on some clear gloss so I can get the stencil decals on it. 

Sorry for the crappy pic, I took it with my iPad instead of my phone.

I had a little time this weekend, so I decided to spray a coat of clear gloss on the incredibly flat Tamiya paint. While I was at it, I took five kits of the shelf of doom and sprayed them gloss too. While I am not committing to finish them all, I may feel frisky one day and break out all their decals.

HVCbeWP.jpg

Besides the 109, I sprayed the following:

1/72 Airfix B5N2

1/72 Airfix A6M2 Zero

1/72 MPM B5M1 Mabel

1/72 Cyber Hobby qD3A1 Val

Edited by 1to1scale

Yesterday I spent way too much time doing decals, 45 or so tiny stencils will drive you blind and crazy, I cant even imagine you nutbags that do modern jets that have hundreds of them. Frustratingly, 2/3 of them are not even visible on the dark camo. As predicted, more carnage happened while doing decals, I managed to break off both lower wing flaps, and knock of the elevators loose too. And if that was not enough, I also put a nice scratch in the cowling and rear fuselage. For some unknown reason, the port landing gear is so loose, it wont even hold itself in by itself, i might have to add some plastic shims to get it to hold long enough for the glue to set. I had originally thought about gluing the landing gear in prior to paining, but I surely would have broken it before i was done. I might have to break out the thick CA and accelerator to get them to set. Hopefully I will get this cursed build finished with a flat coat and some weathering this weekend, before another disaster strikes. 

Edited by 1to1scale

Alright! Alright! Alright! I did it, my first fully finished LSP!

I had a couple hours Saturday and an hour tonight and fully finished Mr Gustav! Took a few pictures and locked him in my display cabinet. When I get some time, and some poster board, I will take it outside for better pictures.

There were some things I am pleased with, like the paint and weathering, however, the paint chipping was poorly executed. I tried the sponge technique, but it didn't come out very well. I have some ideas as what not to do next time. Another thing was I didn't research the right options for this plane and ended up with a wrong canopy and antenna, but I now know better. I learned to question whether a panel line should be there or not, a big boo to Revell for imaginary panel lines and very weak landing gear. But thumbs up to them for good fit and easy assembly. My goal was to learn a new teqnique with each build. And while I learned how to do mottling, I also learned how not to do chipping. Mission accomplished, this whole build cost me $22 for the kit, $11 for montex masks, $6 for the quick boost barrels, and $4 for the belts. Not bad, not fully OTB, but close.

JjSYryv.jpg

idLkMXL.jpg

bVqpmAb.jpg

fu8xoCw.jpg

Fr7H8hE.jpg

DQv7BL1.jpg

8sEkUFy.jpg

f8iKq1I.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

I think you did a great job.  The only thing I would add would be some serious oil staining on the belly from the chin radiator and the bleeder immediately behind the propeller.  The DB 605 leaked terribly, often staining the underside and the front and top of the drop tank.

Gaz