Hillson FH.40

Derek B

Thanks to LSP member Troy Molitor, it looks like I may be able to have a go at this subject (cheers Troy :speak_cool: ). The basis is obviously the Revell Hurricane 1 kit, with modifications as required. I intend to modify the existing Hurricane kit wing into the new slip wing. as there is no accurate drawings for the new slip wing, I had to draw my own up. The kit wing is spot-on with regard to span, so I used this as my 'base' drawing shape. I then used published root and tip chord data to determine the acual trailing edge wing shape. It should be noted that the slip wing has a reduced tip radii when compared to the standard Hurricane wing, and therefore has a differing training edge sweep angle. Careful scrutiny of existing photographs also show that the slip wing was flown with two differing centre section training edge planforms (one is a straight parralel trailing edge whilst the other continues the trailing edge wing taper to a radiu point).

Prelim pics:

hillson.jpg

SWHurri001.jpg

SWHurri004.jpg

SWHurri005.jpg

SWHurri007.jpg

SWHurri008.jpg

More to follow when I have got my head around how to actually do it a little more!:lol:

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Thanks guys :speak_cool:

I am planning out how to tackle this one at present, as once I start cutting plastic, there is little recourse for me to alter things if I should change my mind about what I am doing! It is going to be pretty interesting as I have a choice of trailing edge configurations to pick from. I may need to extend the elevator areas by about 10% and I need to get hold of a De Havilland propeller and spinner, as well as the Hurricane Mk.II 'knuckle' tail wheel.

Cheers

Derek

Looking good so far Derek. I'll be looking into this project with a smile, for sure.

regards,

Troy

Thanks Troy - I couldn't do this one without your help :D

Derek

Go Derek, go!!

Cool project!

Thank you Ray, I hadn't realised that there was so much interest in this conversion, which is very encouraging, so thank you all for looking in so far (even though I have little more to show - at present).

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Just a quick update. I have managed to make a little more progress. I have cut out the kit wheel well bay and filled the remaining aperture with plastic card. Similarly, I have also filled the cartridge chutes and leading edge areas of the wing (after cutting and filing this area away) with plastic card also. I used Revell Contacta liquid cement and cyanoacrylite glue for additional strength/filler to secure the plastic card to the wings. The pictures below show this (apologies for the poor quality). The next stage will be modification of the upper wings. Due to the root fairing curvature on these items, I may have to section the whole wing and build it up in this manner?

Wingpattern9-5-11011.jpg

Wingpattern9-5-11007.jpg

Wingpattern9-5-11014.jpg

Wingpattern9-5-11020.jpg

Wingpattern9-5-11022.jpg

Wingpattern9-5-11026.jpg

Wingpattern9-5-11028.jpg

Derek

OK Guys, some further thoughts on this project. In order to make thw new wing components rigid, and therefore flex free, it looks like I shall be commited to building this thing in sections, which will then require internal filling with resin for stability.

Soooo, as I will have to go to all the trouble of making it in this manner anyhow, would there be any milage/interest in developing this as a full resin conversion for everybody?

Derek

A little more progress.The upper wings have been sectioned at the outer wing panel break (removing the wing root sections). Once the surface detail was sanded away, they were glued onto the lower wings. I now need to fill in the various wing orifices etc and start blocking off the wing centre section before I split the wings in two.

Wingpattern10-5-11004.jpg

Wingpattern10-5-11003.jpg

Wingpattern10-5-11006.jpg

Wingpattern10-5-11007.jpg

Derek

Coooooool! :popcorn:

Got to be one of the more interesting and unique projects going....

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Brian :)

I have now pretty well worked out how I can get the centre section to knit together once the wings are in two parts without recourse to using things like through-spars etc (it will essentially end up looking like some kind of giant interlocking jigsaw).

Cheers

Derek