• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update. After sanding and rescribing it was time to paint. Because this is a biplane, I decided that I would do the painting before assembling the upper wing. I have also decided to paint all the markings using Maketar masks, which are really great but it takes an awful time to get this correct and I am still not entirely satisfied with the result but so it goes. This is where I stand, fuselage is still in need of some touch ups and has received a coat of future for the few decals that I will use and in anticipation of the wash. The fuselage is painted with Gunze RLM 76 and will still have some tonal variation, the future makes it look very dark and monochrome. For the scheme, I am using one of the color profile in Robert Panek book, I wanted a bird with the eastern front yellow markings on the wings and tail to contrast with the overall dark green, hopefully it will turn out OK.

paint3_zpskw7i9jtw.jpg

paint1_zpsn9e6wjwr.jpg

paint2_zpsqhnaapsc.jpg

The upper wing is more advanced with Flory washes and a flat coat. Markings are painted.

paint4_zpskj6ot7g9.jpg

paint5_zpsgk5xjicf.jpg

Hopefully the time to mate the upper wing to the fuselage is not too far away. Thanks for watching.

David

That looks excellent! Love the Hs-123; one of my all-time favourite aircraft. I have several in 1/72nd scale, one in 1/48th scale, but none in 1/32nd scale - just a bit pricey for me at the moment. I will no doubt buy one in due course, and your great work will be a good guide on building it.

Regards,

Jason

Gents, thank you for the nice words. Today I finished the touching up of my paint job and finished decaling and sealed the decals with future. Tomorrow I will do a wash on the fuselage and then the big moment, glueing the top wing to the fuselage. I will post pictures of the result tomorrow.

Don, the main issue I had with the masks was positioning them right. I use a piece of tape on the masks so they stay together when I place them on the model but once the mask touch the model there is no turning back as trying to unstick even a partially placed mask to reposition the masks will tear the whole thing apart. As I use a colored low tack tape, it is then hard to see the contour of the mask and place it precisely. I draw reference marks on the transfer tape to help placement but this is not perfect. I would be easier to use a transparent transfer tape, but I have not been able to find a low tack tape which works. Other than that the masks worked very well. I used both the Kabuki and the vinyl version of the Maketar masks and both work equally well IMO.

Any of you guys has a good method to place masks precisely?

David

Hello David!! I hear you about the masks, just used some on my IL-2M3. Did the exact same things as you, i did use Scotch magic tape, reference marks, etc. The masks seem to get a mind of their own and a LOT of patience and a steady hand is needed. No coffee before this task.

Don

David, you can use the vinyl masking material itself as a transfer medium. Just make sure it's big enough to cover the entire mask you're applying. This will help it to hold together.

I'm not sure if frisket would work as it may be too sticky. I haven't tried it yet to be sure.

For placement on the model, I usually apply one edge using reference points (panel lines, ailerons, etc) on the model for alignment and try not to let too much of the mask touch the surface until I'm happy with its position.

Hope that helps a bit.

Carl

Just caught up with this build David, sorry to have missed it. She looks great so far and masking/painting the insignia is definitely the way to go though I agree, it certainly does try your patience! Good luck with the top wing, I don't envy you the task. :)

Max