KH 1/35 Huey D/H Announced

John1

Here's the way I look at it. 1/48th sells. 1/32nd survives. To make the large scales possible, KH will have to make some cash selling the smaller scales. I personally don't have an issue with this as I have limited shelf space and have to really think about my large scale purchases. I will purchase several 1/48th Hueys (I already have their Marine UH-1Y) and would love to make a Vietnam version or two, plus a couple of NASA and civvie versions. If that will help us to eventually get a 1.32nd molding, then wonderful. If not, I've still got my reasonably sized Hueys. 

Bob

Reading between the lines the message is BUY MORE 1/32nd kits from them!

I have always had issues with smaller companies reproducing subjects that are already out there, to me, a small company when it starts out should aim for 100% of the market rather than 25% or less of a known popular subject particularly if the subject is maybe twice the price of it's competitors.

KH have not gone down this route in the main and have prospered accordingly, when they have, sales have been reputedly disappointing. 

We want these companies to be successful, but when there is substantial choice those on fixed budgets will chose the cheaper options regardless of the quality of the product. I have two friends who are in exactly this position. They love the products but can't afford to buy them.

Revell recognise this and pitch the prices accordingly, clever marketing can persuade buyers, but it does have it's limits.  

Still waiting for those 1/32 Jags, and yes this modeller will be buying them in numbers too!!!     

F-5, family, Jag family, Mirage 2000 family

Some day we'll get you to the Telford Show in the U.K Glen!

If you want to see lot's of foot traffic and plenty of LSP'ers you'll find them there.

Just ask the folks at Z-M, they literally sell piles of their kits over the weekend!!

I cordially invite you to come one year, we'll make sure you don't forget the experience!!!!

• 2 months later...

From Cybermodeler:

"The 1/35 scale UH-1D project has been shelved for now because the chat rooms that were surveyed by Kitty Hawk prefer the 1/48 scale Huey."

Incredible.  People have only been begging and crying for a 1/35 Huey for as long as I can remember.

KH just released pics of the built up 48th scale kit.   To be generous, it's "rough".  Incorrect details, access panels that are raised to the point of being 1" thick steel plate on a real Huey and worst of all, the rivets (which on the real thing are raised) are represented by dimples.  It looks bad in 48th, if they are going to scale this kit up as promised to 35th, it will look even worse.   They had two experts working with them and they still botched it. Really disappointing.  I wasn't expecting Tamiya quality but I did have high hopes for the kit, given the support they had.  KH said they are still working on some changes but my guess would be at best they will just be changing some detail parts.  Can't believe they would go back to redo all the molds.   

18739084_1917340825191200_63154689957381

You can't say anything bad about kits here. You'll get labeled as "negative".

I'm trying not to be labeled as a KH hater, some of their stuff is decent.  Plus, maybe the bar was set too high in my own mind and I expected close to Tamyia-like quality.  

To set the record straight, this shouldn't be considered a slag against the two guys who by all accounts bent over backwards to help KH.  It appears that things went south in the transition from CAD to making the molds.   None of the issues you see in the pic above were present in the CAD shots that were released.  Also to set the record straight, as noted above, KH has stated that they are working on "issues" with the kit in it's present form so maybe the gripes I flagged will be resolved before this kit hit's the streets. My own uneducated guess is that they will just tweak some detail parts and leave the larger issues alone.

Also, I have to wonder what this means for the upcoming 1/35th AH-6 Littlebird.  That's another helo with prominent raised rivets.   If their Littlebird is going to look the same, I'll pass on that and stick with Dragon one. 

The SU-17 has some of the lovliest surface deail going its hard to believe its from the same company.

Well they are retooling the Banjo after wing gate and they better take a long look at that armor plating on the side which looks more like stuff you woukd see on a T-34 rolling off the line in Stalingrad in 42 than a helo.

I wish they woukd just mold the engine covers closed..the engines are not detailed enough to use and just cause drama fits...just out cut out lines for those who want to cut them open.

Wow this picture look like a bad scale down job from 1/35. Could this be the case?

Has for the scale choice i dont know helos are an easy LSP to me since they are quite small and unless the have 4 blades rotor take very little space.

I have a HH65 on the bench and its no bigger than a 1/48 F-18

You can't say anything bad about kits here. You'll get labeled as "negative".

Thats just not true.

I've said plenty about kits I dont like, including HKM, some KHM and Trumpeter.    You just have to bring the issue up in an adult (NON-combative) way, and have an adult discussion about it, with details, and maybe even be open to other viewpoints. 

I am sort of glad they switched it to 1:48. One less kit to buy :hmmm:
While I'd love a 1:35 Huey I just don't do 1:48 any more so one less customer, but I guess there are still plenty of 1:48 players although not sure where you get all the figures and accessories for the inevitable Nam diorama which are all readily available in 1:35.